cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting shutter speed to 1/2000 for concert photos.

Mamoulian
Apprentice

Hi - 

I've been unable to figure out how to get a static 1/2000 shutter speed for concert photos, so that I can capture high quality photos while people are in motion on the PowerShot A2500.  If I am unable to set it to a static 1/2000, please let me know the settings I should have it at so that it will automatically adjust it to 1/2000 or at least something higher than say 1/200, since speeds lower than that are blurry.  

Thanks a lot!  

4 REPLIES 4

cicopo
Elite

Basically (from what I read in the specs) you CAN'T. That camera looks to be marketed for simple point & shoot use. You need one that offers MANUAL control over the primary functions such as Tv or Av (Time Value AKA shutter speed or Aperture). Like it or not you are trying to capture decent results under very difficult conditions with the wrong tool.

It can shoot at 1/2000 but it won't unless it's a VERY bright scene. The most you can do is select the highest ISO it allows & live with the noisy images.  

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Darn.  Thanks for the reply.  I don't know too much about cameras; all I'd heard was that I needed a very fast shutter speed to capture movement without blur.  I've noticed the max shutter speed I've been able to get out of it has been like 1/60, which shouldn't be horrible with the 2000+ ISO I guess.  Well, I'll find out, and if the first few pictures don't come out right, I'll be bringing extra batteries so I'll just take video.  🙂

Thanks again.

Are you using the flash? If so that forces the camera to use a slow shutter speed too. When I looked at the specs I didn't see a SPORT mode which is one of the simple ways people can use (if the camera has it) to get higher shutter speeds.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

No, not using the flash as I think it's rude to do so at concerts. I'll look for the sports setting or something similar where the intent is to capture movement.  Thanks.

Announcements