cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX700 - Unboxing - Sample Shots / Videos and Battery Assessment

ethanol
Contributor

Day 1

I managed to get an early SX700. It arrived today (a few weeks before it is generally available I think).

Some photos of the unboxing

Quite a few sample images

After a full charge, I took the camera out for a spin today. Wanting to confirm whether the camera suffered from the same battery problems as the SX280. It was well suited to a family trip we had planned to Dreamworld.

I took around 200 photos and about 8 mins of videos. Battery is still showing as 2/3 full and initially had no red battery warnings when using video / zoom. Later in the day, the flashing red battery symbol started to flash, but I never had a shutdown from lack of battery and as mentioned its still showing as 2/3 full. Zoom at 30x (tiger, Koala,..) shows some usable results.

I also took a few videos - all at FHD 60p :

Rollercoaster

Dodgems

Tigers

Big Drop

Log Flume

Apart from a High speed video which bumps the framerate up to 240fps iit drops the resolution to 320x240 :

Slow Motion

2 REPLIES 2

ethanol
Contributor

Carried on shooting video / photos today and soon reached the flashing red battery indicator, so probably ended up with 220 photos + 10 mins video + normal use on one charge - in-line with Canon's own claims. According to Canon's own specifications, you should get : 

250 photos

40 mins video

4 hours playback 

When it did shut down on video, upon powering back on, it was still flashing red, so seems to shutdown on video when it really is low on battery (unlike the SX 280 used to for me).

Charging up again now and will give it another go.

The battery in the SX700 is the NB-6LH, I did try it with a spare NB-6L that I still had and it seems to work OK, video + zooming, no shutdown / low battery warning (for the cursory checking I did).

I'm beginning to think  this is a Canon pre-launch review ploy.

There are other cameras that will blow the SX700 out the water the results are not exactly  'steller'... lets hope it doesn't go faulty and you have to return it and end up with a refurbshed one that some else has had!

I'll give the SX700 a miss after the treatment of the SX280/270 owners, Canon needs to pull their socks up and be sharp about it.

Dave

Announcements