cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX60hs: Mic in HotShoe Disables Flash: Canon Rethink - Please?

GOkuGohan
Apprentice

Great to have Audio in. Great to be able to attach my Pro Mics on top. But... Don't expect to take any Flash.

Just discovered that, the SX60 Hotshoe will disable any flash options IF the HS is used as a MIC support. I understand that Canon don't wish to have another device that could upset the internal Flash. On closer inspection I can see that the plastic foot of my MIC support separates two contacts within the HOTSHOE which in turn, I presume, disables the internal Flash.

4 REPLIES 4

Ray-uk
Whiz

Why would you want to use a mic with flash ?

I assume he wants to be able to leave the mic mounted most of the time even when not shooting video.  I am not familiar with this Canon series but it might be possible to do a minor modification to the mount used by the microphone to remove the part that "triggers" the contact separation so that the hot shoe will no longer know that something is mounted there.  This would leave the camera hot shoe fully operational for other accessories.

Of course you need to be absolutely sure that anything used with this modified foot doesn't physically interfere with a pop-up flash because the mechanism probably doesn't respond well to something physically blocking it and will quickly let the user know whether the weak link lies in the pop up flash mechanism or the item using the hot shoe mount.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@Ray-uk wrote:

Why would you want to use a mic with flash ?

To "hear" the light? That's gotta be it Smiley Very Happy Seriously, swapping from Video to Stills would make sense in needing the Flash.

soon_hong
Apprentice

Take a look at the left side of your hotshoe. There is a diagonal metal spring. It pushes down and touches the bottom round black metal sensor as you insert any device. If it stays that way somehow even after you detached your device, it automatically disables your built-in flash and even if you push the flashlight button, no selection menu will appear since your camera thinks you still have a device on your hotshoe. Use a very small flat screw driver and push up the metal spring if it somehow bented and touched the sensor. That's how I fixed mine since it happened after I used a non-canon brand external flashlight unit.

Announcements