cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX50HS Stuck in multi (3) photo mode

rick007
Apprentice

Had it for 5+ years and the prior model before.  Never had this problem.  I have changed the battery.  I turn it on, set it at "P" hit funct set, move to a sqaure box on the left menu, and set it for single.  I havce tried resetting it to 3x and multiple.  And then back to single.  nope.  in auto single shots are fine.Sport and high speed burst work fine.  Go back to "P" and triple shots are still the norm.  I don't know if i need a software update - never did one. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi rick007,

In addition to Tronhard's suggestion to update the firmware there is one setting to check on the camera. If the Auto Exposure Bracketing was enabled it would cause the camera to take three shots in a row. That setting would apply in P, Tv, Av, and M modes, so it may be the cause since this is happening in those specific modes.

To check that setting put the camera into either P, Tv, Av, or M and press the Func. Set button. The Auto Exposure Bracketing option will be the the icon that has a symbol of a square with diagonal lines on top of a black square on top of a white square. Select that and set it to Off. Once you've done that check to see if the same thing happens.

If you would like to reference the manual for the Auto Exposure Bracketing symbol it is shown on page 119. If you need a copy of the manual it is available HERE. Once you are on the web page click on the gray Manuals button and the one to reference is named PowerShot SX50 HS Camera User Guide.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Rick and welcome to the site.

Sorry to learn you are having issues.  Have you checked to see if Av, Tv and M work with single-shot mode?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

rick007
Apprentice

After checking now, nope. They don't work in single shot mode. I then tried to separately go back to single mode on the menu, still no results 

You could try seeing if there is a firmware file available.  Either a newer on, or just reinstall the current one. However, after five years, it is possible that the system has developed a hardware fault.  You could try to get it fixed, but for a camera of that value, you might find it more economical to get a replacement.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi rick007,

In addition to Tronhard's suggestion to update the firmware there is one setting to check on the camera. If the Auto Exposure Bracketing was enabled it would cause the camera to take three shots in a row. That setting would apply in P, Tv, Av, and M modes, so it may be the cause since this is happening in those specific modes.

To check that setting put the camera into either P, Tv, Av, or M and press the Func. Set button. The Auto Exposure Bracketing option will be the the icon that has a symbol of a square with diagonal lines on top of a black square on top of a white square. Select that and set it to Off. Once you've done that check to see if the same thing happens.

If you would like to reference the manual for the Auto Exposure Bracketing symbol it is shown on page 119. If you need a copy of the manual it is available HERE. Once you are on the web page click on the gray Manuals button and the one to reference is named PowerShot SX50 HS Camera User Guide.

Hi Rick:

I'd forgotten about exposure bracketing!  I would not be surprised at all if that is the culprit.  Good catch!!!

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements