Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 HS camera Battery Drain Issues

fbaccari
Apprentice

Is there a fix for the battery drain on the SX280 HS camera

18 REPLIES 18

I just got Best Buy to replace one of the extra batteries I had purchased.  The new battery is a DigiPower, as was the first one.  The replacement will record about 20 minutes, using the zoom occasionally.  The old one was only good for 12 minutes.

There are at least three problems going with this camera.  The first is that it is a real battery hog.  Secondly, the voltage detection circuitry is not good.  Third, battery quality varies dramatically.  Canon batteries seem to be good for 20 minutes or so while aftermarket batteries can vary from seconds to a few minutes.  I lucked out with this latest DigiPower which seems to be good for about 20 minutes.

I buid and fly ratio controlled airplanes which use batteries of this type, so I am familiar with how they should behave.  Pretty much regardless of load, the output voltage should remain constant until depleted, when it drops rapidly.

This may sound as though I am supporting Canon.  Certainly not!!!  They have royally screwed the public!  I am kind of on the fence as to whether or not to keep this camera which I purchased 6 months ago.  I did get the Best Buy extended ownership plan for a year, so they might give me my money back.  I now have three batteries which seem to be good for 20 minutes or so, each.  For those of you who decide to keep the camera, pay close attention to the batteries.  Given a choice I would go the Canon route.

Canon replaced my camera free and paid the postage both ways.  I'm going to talk with Best Buy and see what recourse I might have, just in case.

Yes it is the battery, it is not up to it.

Fitted an external 2700mAh battery in a motrbike grip handle with a screw mount adaptor on the top. Plugs into the pseudo battery supplied with a 3rd party mains adpator.

It all works fine now no low battery even when zooming.

I now have a great little camcorder.

Pity no one makes this as a kit.

Regards Del

Just so you know the reason the battery lasts for so short a time
is that the camera runs off of 4.3 volts.
The battery is only 3.7 volts.

the math dose not add up.

Canon should of used a 6 volt battery and not a 3.7 volt one.

I would of lasted

sdculp
Contributor

I solved my problem. I returned my 1st SX280 to Amazon and received a new SX280 even though it was over 30 days; thanks to Amazon Prime. I tested this 2nd SX280 and found the same issues that I had with the 1st one. I returned it it to Amazon after 2 weeks and received a full refund. I will not go thru the testing that yiou have done; I applaud your efforts. Canon should hire you.

After owning three prior Canon cameras with great success, I don't believe I will return for my next Camera.

I now need to go thru the research to find the 'ideal' Point & Shoot Camera with at least 20X Optical zoom.

I welcome any ideas from the forum.

Thanks.

4thFootPvt
Contributor

Ritt
Apprentice

In addition there are other problems, will not focus any longer. We did not use this as a video camera, ever, only snap shots.

I have since gone on to Sony, nice cameras, VERY happy with Sony. Ditch the canon or give it to a youngster to play with.

mohamed21
Apprentice

good

Cameramaniac
Apprentice

Hi all those facing a battery drain issue with the Canon 280HS camera it is a common issue that Canon refused to fix for me when called them recently. I recently purchased this camera online used. It had the problem and Canon stated it is an older camera over 5 yrs old and it is too late to fix as they don't have the parts. Can you imagine, not having the parts to fix a camera they make. Anyway the problem still exists even when I updated the firmware to the latest one.

You can't use the camera as soon as you put a fully charged battery in the camera and you use the zoom or the video it will show as the battery is depleted and the camera will shut off.

One way that you can fix this is by being like Macgyver by putting a piece of electric tape over the fully charged battery covering the middle gold piece and it may hold the charge. Good luck. Otherwise stay away from this model

Announcements