cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S90 LCD screen problem

user123
Apprentice

My S90 LCD screen turns off by itself within a few seconds to about 30 secs.  All the other camera functions work while the LCD is off.   When I turn the camera off and turn it back on, the LCD comes back on but goes off again.   I have checked the auto screen time off and I have set to 2 or 3 mins.  But this does not affect the screen time going off by itself.   Is this a camera LCD malfunction or some other electronics inside going bad?   Obviously this is out of warrenty.  Hate to have to spend couple hundred bucks to have this fix if you can buy another camera for a little more.   I have also a S50 model that I had to change the LCD screen before when it went bad.   Any ideas I can command the LCD on my S90 ? TIA

2 REPLIES 2

Tim
Authority

I am sorry to hear that your PowerShot S90 powers the LCD panel off in about 30 seconds.  If you have it set to something other than this is the Menu, then there is likely an internal issue with your camera.  If this is out of warranty, you can consider sending this into the Factory for evaluation or participate in the Canon Loyalty Program. 

This program allows you to replace your current camera with a refurbished Canon Camera for a discounted fee, and have it shipped via Second Business Day delivery.  The refurbished unit offered through this program carries a 90 day warranty.  The original non-functioning camera would then be returned to Canon USA for recycling using a prepaid shipping label that would be provided.  If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with email technical support and the Canon Loyalty Program was offered.  Be sure to have your serial number for your camera at the time of your call.

If you wish to set up a repair, you can do so on our web site.  To start your repair process, you'll need to complete a request on our website.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer?pageKeyCode=onlineRepairLanding

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

user123
Apprentice

Problem fixed after taking camera apart and replaced with new LCD display panel.  Bought LCD part # CY1-6958 from Canon Parts Center for $53 (i.e. including about 25% tax and shipping). 

Canon cameras have nice features but do not have reliable electronic components.  Not reliable as 2 out of 3 of my Canon cameras have LCD panels that went bad over time, i.e. my S50 and S90.  Will see how long my G12 hold up.  My Olympus and Nikon cameras don't have any problems.   Perhaps this is manufacturer's intent so you can keep buying replacement cameras as most people don't know how to fix it and it is not worth it to send to Canon to fix it.   Typical labor is $100 + parts cost. 

Fairly easy to take apart camera to replace panel.  The following youtube video illustrates simple procedure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ajrqw1hGM

This forum is pretty useless as no one really offers any related experience over two weeks.  Canon staff will not offer any idea other than sending it in. 

Announcements