cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot SX230 Clicking Noise

nikki
Contributor

My Canon Powershot SX230 makes a continuous clicking noise, assuming its the continuous focus, but not sure.  You can also hear it when you are using the video in a quieter setting.  Is this normal or a defect?

12 REPLIES 12

kosha
Apprentice

I have the same problem. I bought two SX230 (refurb) from canon store last week. I turned it on after charging the battery. It is making a clicking noise if I move the camera slightly. The clicking noise stops if there is no movement in the camera. Unfortunately, I am experiencing this in both cameras.

I have had my camera for almost a year now and it has made the sound since I have had it.  It was bought new.  I just assumed it was "normal"........seems like maybe it is the continuous focus.  I called Canon in September when I realized you could hear it in videos.  They told me it probably was the continuous focus and you would be able to hear it in quiter settings, but if the sound should get louder to send it in to be checked out.  I called Canon again yesterday and talked with someone else and he said it could possibly be a lense issue, or just the way the camera is, not sure.  My pictures seem to come out correctly (I'm not a professional by any means).  Have you taken any photos with your cameras.....do they come out okay?  My daughter has a smaller, cheaper canon and her does the same thing, but not nearly as loud.  Since mine and the two of your cameras all do the same thing, maybe it is "normal" for this camera??  Regardless, due to the fact that my year is almost up, I am sending mine to Cannon to be looked at.  Please let me know if you find or hear anything else on this issue & how your photos come out.  Thanks!

Mykolas
Authority

Nikki,

The noise you are hearing may be the Image Stabilizer.  It is starts running when the shutter button is pressed and will run continuously while shooting.  To test this theory, try disabling it using the IS MODE setting in the menu.  You will need to set the IS MODE to OFF.

If the sound goes away, then this was indeed what you were hearing.  The Image Stabilizer normally makes a low level noise that you can sometimes hear, so if the noise is the Image Stabilizer, then the noise is probably normal.

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you.  I did try turning off the IS MODE and it is still makes the clicking noise.  As the other contributor stated, the noise stops when there is no movement, otherwise it is continuous.

Nikki,

There is also a setting in the menu for Continuous AF.  You can turn this off.  When you do, can the noise still be heard?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I don't have the camera with me at the moment, but I believe the answer is "yes".  I am pretty sure I tried this previously as well.  I will double check this evening.

Mike -

This is what I have discovered:  When I'm in the auto mode, you cannot turn off the continuous af so I do still hear the clicking noise.  However, when I got into the other modes where I can turn off the continuous af, the clicking noise does go away until I press the shutter buttton down half way before shooting.

Nikki,

This tells us that the noise is coming from the focusing motor.  It may be normal, but you will need to compare your camera with others of the same model to see if they make a similar noise.  If they do, your camera is working as it should be.  If not, your camera will need to be evaluated by our Factory Service Center.

To start your repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Mike -

I did send my camera in.  They stated the optical assembly did not operate properly so they replaced it with a refurbished optical unit.  Would this have affected the quality of my photos (as I am not an expert photo taker it is hard for me to tell)?

What I can tell is that in the interim, I purchased the SX260 and definitely notice sharper quality photos from the SX260.  Your thoughts??

Announcements