cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot G7 MKII focus problem & adjust

egopfe
Contributor

Hi folks,

I love the Powershot G7X since is very efficient and effective in underwater photography with WP-DC55.

Sometimes I've a big problem when the water is not so clear the camera starts to point the focus on the closest object, such as silly things like underwater suspension, underwater dust and many other stupid thing that will disrupt the picture! 

It's very frustrating that the autofocus does not understand itself that if a have a big sting ray in front of me it's a shame to focus on the silly thin plancton underwater dust!

This happens in different configuration scenario even in underwater scene program, automatic or whatever.

There is a fix or a configuration to impose the camera to focus the farest object?

looking at the manual seems there's no solution...

Thank you in advance,

8 REPLIES 8

John_
Authority

Manual focus doesn't get you there either?

John_
Authority

Oh boy I just looked at your manual and the manual focus section...for me it is poorly explained and confusing. Perhaps with camera in hand it is easier to understand.

Dear John,

thank you for your answer, I'm sure you'll understand that during an underwater diving, with a fish that is passing in front of you, it's quite impossible to take a manual focus with the WP-DC55.

I must solve this problem... in "autofocus" 🙂

just to let you understand the shame I'm talking about 🙂

the focus is on the marine dust, not on the sealion! 

lobo.jpg

We know what you are talking about. It is a known problem with no good solution, especially with contrast-detection focus.

Could a powerful, off camera, underwater light on the subject help or will it just take a better picture of the dust? Could try and rent one and give that a try unless it's known not to help. It would def allow a faster shutter speed, smaller aperture, larger depth of field and perhaps define the subject better so the focus can find it.

Dear John,

trust me, in the same dive friends with other mirrorless cameras with underwater cases (Sony or Nikon) did not have this issue.

Only my Canon.

Dear Kvbarkley,

thank you for your answer, by my opinion it's a little shame for Canon, I was using Powershot series with WP-DC underwater case for years and G7X MKII is the first that gives this awful problem...

Canon must fix it I think...

Announcements