cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX530 HS zoom not working

mfehlma
Apprentice

Hi,

Bought a Powershot XS530 HS in 2015 and recently the camera's zoom toggle has stopped working. Occasionally it might zoom in if the switch is held at just the correct position but it's basically useless 99% of the time. It is well out of warranty so there's no option there and I doubt it is worth it to take it to get it repaired. I was not able to find any solutions googling so wanted to post here to see if any one had any ideas on how this could be fixed? Literally no other problems at all with the camera so I'm really frustrated that this happened as it is pretty useless now.

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
It is unlikely that Canon will service this system any more - I think that period is about 5 years for consumer-level cameras, professional grade have a somewhat longer support life.
You MIGHT get a third-party service site to look at it, but frankly, given the value of such a camera today, you need to seriously consider if it is cost effective.

If you decide to try something yourself, you could remove the battery and with the camera back horizontal, allow some isopropyl alcohol into the zoom switch, in case it is choked with grime or dust.  You would then have to wait a while for the alcohol to penetrate and evaporate, and then put the battery in and work the zoom level.  This is a rather 'hail mary' approach, if you cannot afford any other resolution.

Canon have a trade-in protocol that allows you to get some value back for a camera towards the purchase of a new Canon camera.  That may also be a possibility.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi, Trevor!  To clear things up, while the PowerShot SX530 HS was introduced in 2015, we do still currently support this model.  That includes offering access to over-the-phone support and accepting it for service at our Factory Service Centers.  Hope this helps!

Thanks for that clarification Danny.  I don't want the OP to get the wrong info.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements