cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot G7 X Mark II How to fix flash being harsh and showing details on portraits?

kamadoki
Apprentice

Hey everyone. I bought a canon g7x mark ii. No matter what settings I use I always look more unflattering in the flash photos. I have a photo of my hair in my flash as an example. With flash, my photos just seem to harsh and flash reflection, and you can see all the finer unflattering details, where without flash it looks good and solid smooth toned. Any tips?

1 REPLY 1

jennie258fitz
Apprentice

@kamadoki wrote:

Hey everyone. I bought a canon g7x mark ii. No matter what settings I use I always look more unflattering in the flash photos. I have a photo of my hair in my flash as an example. With flash, my photos just seem to harsh and flash reflection, and you can see all the finer unflattering details, where without flash it looks good and solid smooth toned. Any tips?

Flash photography can indeed be tricky, especially with compact cameras like the Canon G7X Mark II. Here are some tips to help you get more flattering flash photos:

Diffuse the Flash: Use a diffuser to soften the light from the flash. You can buy a small diffuser or even use a piece of tissue paper or a white plastic bag over the flash to spread the light more evenly.
Adjust Flash Power: Lower the flash power to reduce harshness. You can do this in the camera settings by adjusting the flash exposure compensation.
Bounce the Flash: If possible, angle the flash to bounce off a wall or ceiling rather than pointing it directly at your subject. This can create a softer, more natural light.
Use Manual Mode: Switch to manual mode and adjust the ISO, aperture, and shutter speed to control the amount of light entering the camera. A lower ISO and wider aperture can help reduce the harshness of the flash.
Post-Processing: Use photo editing software to smooth out any unflattering details. Adjusting the brightness, contrast, and applying a softening filter can make a big difference.
Experiment with Angles: Sometimes changing the angle of the shot can reduce the harshness of the flash. Try taking photos from different angles to see what works best.
Natural Light: Whenever possible, use natural light or additional continuous lighting to complement the flash. This can help balance the overall lighting and reduce harsh shadows.

Announcements