cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot G7 Taking Very Dark Images

powerfulshot
Apprentice

Hello,

I have an old PowerShot G7 from 2006 that takes very very dark images. Here is an image of a floor lamp with very reasonable lighting conditions taken at f/5.6 and a 1/2 sec shutter speed at ISO 80: 

IMG_0045.JPG

Here is the same subject and settings but at ISO 1600:

image.jpeg

Does anyone know what the problem could be? Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please start by resetting the camera's settings.  Format the memory card.  Now put the camera into [A+] auto mode.  Go outside during the day and take a sequence of shots.  What are the results.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the quick reply!

In auto mode and broad daylight, I get completely black images like this one:

IMG_0051.JPG

The flash also fires every time.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Did you reset the cameras settings as recommended? Reset, don't make any settings changes and test.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yep, camera settings were reset using the “Reset All…” option in the menus. 

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
If you have followed the advice by my colleague Rick, and have tried shooting in fully-automatic mode, yet still get the same results, I suspect that your camera has succumbed to the ravages of time.  One final question.  If you look at the rear LCD not in image review mode, what do you see - black or an actual image that looks reasonable?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

That’s unfortunate to hear. 

Yes, both the ISO and shooting mode dials were set to AUTO for the test. 

In shooting mode, the rear LCD also shows a completely black image. Sometimes when half-pressing the  shutter, I’ll see a flicker of a very faint image of the scene (similar to the second picture in my original post) as autofocus does its thing. 

Given, as you say, the camera is 18 years old, it may have succumbed to time.  It's time to consider a replacement, and you may get some solace from the significant improvements in technology in the intervening time.  Have a look at the Canon Refurbish camera page and see if you can find something there.  These are new, or as good as but may have had the box opened, a damaged box, used for demonstration or show, but come with a discount and a warranty.
Canon Point and Shoot Cameras: PowerShot | Canon U.S.A, Inc.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
click here to view the gallery
Announcements