05-23-2017 03:29 PM
Windows 10 Creators Update - Dell XPS-13 ultraportable
In Windows 7 the following window pops up over the tray when my Canon PowerShot SX260 HS is connected via USB.
"Import Pictures and Videos"
On my new computer it does not do this. How can I get the Canon software to work in Windows 10.
The following two posts on the Canon forum detail the same problem, no one could help them.
"Import pictures from, Power Shot SD630 ,to Laptop"
"Why did the little camera icon stop showing up in my system tray?"
05-23-2017 04:58 PM
I found this link from Canon Canada...it's worth a try:
what-to-do-when-windows-10-does not recognize your camera
05-28-2017 08:27 PM
I follwed every item on what-to-do-when-windows-10-does not recognize your camera
which contains such ridiculous suggestions as "Use a USB cable to connect the camera and the computer" and "Try connecting the camera to a different USB terminal".
I downloaded the correct software for my camera and reinstalled it. I notice that the driver date is 2006. Huh? Final conclusion: The ancient Canon software does NOT work with Windows 10 Creators Update.
I am posting this followup to present my workaround for for Win10:
1) Install the proper software for your camera. For me it was 0008-64bit_Win7_Win8_Win8.1_Win10_R281.exe
2) The name of the program is CameraWindow but ignore it. It is outdated by 10 years.
3) Connect camera (nothing happens)
4) Go to File Explorer>Computer. Oddly you will see something like "Powershot SX260 HS..." as though it is another drive but it isn't
5) Right click on this and make a shortcut on your desktop
6) Now when you connect your camera you can right click on the shortcut and click on "Import Pictures and Videos" and that nice little import window will appear in the middle of your screen. That's not where it usta be but it is only one little operation more to import your pics properly.
05-29-2017 08:03 AM
It might make difference if your tablet is in desktop mode or tablet mode.
05-29-2017 12:22 PM
05/31/2023: New firmware updates are available.
EOS R6 Mark II - Version 1.1.2
05/18/2023: New firmware updates are available.
EOS Rebel T100 - Version 1.1.0
EOS 5D Mark IV - Version 1.4.0
EOS 6D Mark II - Version 1.2.0
PowerShot Elph 360HS - Version 18.104.22.168
PowerShot SX420 IS - Version 22.214.171.124
PowerShot 620 HS - Version 126.96.36.199
PowerShot SX720 HS - Version 188.8.131.52
PowerShot G1X Mark III - Version 184.108.40.206
PowerShot G7X Mark II - Version 220.127.116.11
PowerShot G9X Mark II - Version 18.104.22.168
04/20/2023: New firmware version 1.4.1 is available for EOS R3
03/30/2023: New firmware updates are available.
EOS 1DX Mark III- Version 1.7.1
Speedlite EL-1 - Version 1.0.2
03/30/2023: Product Advisory for EF50 F1.2 L USM
03/30/2023: Product Advisory for EOS R10
2/07/2023: New product announcements!EOS R8 EOS R50RF-S55-210mm F5-7.1 IS STMRF24-50mm F4.5-6.3 IS STMRF15-30mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM
Canon U.S.A Inc. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction in whole or part without permission is prohibited.