cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PowerShot SX70 HS blurry

JoanCarol
Contributor

Greetings

I do not have much photography experience, however I should be able to take a clear photo with point and shoot (my iPhone photos are good). I have a new Powershot xs 70 hs and despite my best efforts, nothing seems crisp with or without zoom. I have tried auto and other settings without luck. How do I know if it is me or the camera? Bought it on Amazon so no one to take it to and ask. 
thanks

15 REPLIES 15

JoanCarol
Contributor

693900D8-E0C0-45B0-A727-A66F2328CD5A.jpeg

JoanCarol
Contributor

One more example

Thank you for providing the examples.  I see what you mean; they all appear soft.  Almost like a bit of haze is over them.

Here are some things to try:

Do you have any filter attached to the front of the lens?  If so, remove that to determine if that was the cause.

I'm guessing the the aspect ratio of the images you're capturing is 4:3, but not sure what quality you have selected. If it's set to small or medium, increase that to large.

You may also want to reset the camera to its original settings.  To do so, switch the camera to P, Tv, Av, or M mode.   When accessing settings, there should now be a "Reset camera" option under the wrench menu.   See page 233 of the User Manual for details.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

jmesar
Contributor

I also have a SX70HS and experience same problem, look my photos on https://www.instagram.com/juangonzalomesar/ many SX70HS are blurry, perhaps mid day full sun get sharp images...... finally i deside to buy a new (cheap) EOS R10 while the RF mount were opon to thierd parties, if not hapend i will switch to Sony

casablues
Contributor

I have had the SX70 for 6 months now, and had to work through the same problems.  Here are some of my findings-

-I use Spot AF which is the smallest focus point and Servo AF

-I disabled Continuous AF

-I use Tv=1/1000 to capture wildlife movement because I believe 1/2000 was not giving me enough light to get a sharp pic. This camera does not do well in low lighting.

-make sure you control camera shake, this is my biggest problem.

Thanks to the above, I am now getting much sharper images.

-

thanks

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements