cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Canon Power Shot elph180 suddenly stopped transferring my photos to my computer.

bes
Apprentice

I have tried restarting my PC, unplugging the power cord from my PC and Camera, taking out the memory card and reinstalling it, and setting my camera back to default settings.  When I turn on my camera, it comes on and acts lik it is not connected to the computer.  When I open the program and click import photos from camera, it says 0 even though there are photos on my memory card.  I don't know what else to try.  The camera was purchased not that long ago.  .   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Bes and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to learn you have issues.  I would suggest using a different method to transfer your images - this is simpler, faster and more reliable.

1. Turn your camera off
2. Removed the card and insert it into the computer, using either an internal SD card reader, or one that connects via a USB cable - if you don't have one, they are freely available cheaply.
3. When the card is seen by your computer, it will consider it to be a drive, so you can use your File Manager to select and copy the images to wherever you want on your computer's drives.
4. Once copy is complete, check all the files are in the new location.
5. If you are using a Windows computer, use the Eject feature in File manager to allow you to remove the card safely - to do this RIGHT-CLICK on the icon for the SD card and from the popup menu select Eject. You should get a message saying it's ok to do so.  If not, close the file manager, then re-open it.
6. Put the card back in your camera and use the camera's format command to format the card - and you're good to go.

I hope this will resolve your issue.  It is faster, more reliable and does not depend on draining your camera battery to transfer files.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Bes and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to learn you have issues.  I would suggest using a different method to transfer your images - this is simpler, faster and more reliable.

1. Turn your camera off
2. Removed the card and insert it into the computer, using either an internal SD card reader, or one that connects via a USB cable - if you don't have one, they are freely available cheaply.
3. When the card is seen by your computer, it will consider it to be a drive, so you can use your File Manager to select and copy the images to wherever you want on your computer's drives.
4. Once copy is complete, check all the files are in the new location.
5. If you are using a Windows computer, use the Eject feature in File manager to allow you to remove the card safely - to do this RIGHT-CLICK on the icon for the SD card and from the popup menu select Eject. You should get a message saying it's ok to do so.  If not, close the file manager, then re-open it.
6. Put the card back in your camera and use the camera's format command to format the card - and you're good to go.

I hope this will resolve your issue.  It is faster, more reliable and does not depend on draining your camera battery to transfer files.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank You so much for the advice.  I finally found out last night what the problem was.  It was the USB Port on my computer.  As soon as I tried plugging the camera in to another usb port, it started downloading the photos immediately.  Thank You for Your advice and taking the time to tell me.  I will try to remember that for the future if I have more problems.  .  

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements