cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Card Error - Canon Powershot SD30

jaoperalta
Apprentice

I have a Canon powershot sd30 and im not sure how to fix the “memory card error” message that keeps popping up, ive tried the tricks on how to fix it and none of it worked. Anyone know the problem or even know what the right memory card to use? thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

According to the User Manual (see page 117), the camera came with an "MMC-16M" card and can additionally use "SDC-128M" or "SDC-512MSH" cards.  From some searching, I have only found off-brand cards on Amazon.  B&H Photo doesn't carry these cards at all.

So even though I state to always avoid Amazon for memory card purchases, in this specific case, due to the age of the card technology, see if you can get a replacement card and try it out.

Note that your camera has been retired by Canon, so if you're dealing with a hardware issue, they will no longer repair it.  May also be difficult to find any camera repair shop that would still be repairing these.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Can you tell us what error message you are receiving?

You've "tried all the tricks"... And what might those be?

Memory card type. You can use a full-size memory card 32 GB or less.  A reputable brand SanDisk, Lexar etc. You can check your manual for recommended cards.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The  message I keep receiving is just “memory card error” and when I slide to video mode it says “memory card error card locked” though the memory card is unlocked it’s annoying me that I don't know how to fix it and “those tricks” were the ones I looked up online like unlocking the memory card, formatting it, etc. Ive tried the full size memory cards and it didnt work on this old canon powershot. It says on the manual a 16 MB mmc card. Not sure where that’s available and if anyone knows any more memory cards to use on this powershot 

According to the User Manual (see page 117), the camera came with an "MMC-16M" card and can additionally use "SDC-128M" or "SDC-512MSH" cards.  From some searching, I have only found off-brand cards on Amazon.  B&H Photo doesn't carry these cards at all.

So even though I state to always avoid Amazon for memory card purchases, in this specific case, due to the age of the card technology, see if you can get a replacement card and try it out.

Note that your camera has been retired by Canon, so if you're dealing with a hardware issue, they will no longer repair it.  May also be difficult to find any camera repair shop that would still be repairing these.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements