cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IXUS 185 Distorted Image

Carr
Contributor

Hi,

Yesterday I took self portraits of myself with a Cannon ixus 185 point and shoot digital camera on a tripod set to a 10 second timer, I wasn't very far away,but very close either but I ended up with a distorted somewhat fat face and a double chin which I don't have in person,in the mirror or even in inexpensive camera phones even though I have gotten the wide angle lens distortion if the camera was too close to my face but you can't really tell how close it is and sometimes you get lucky and get really good results. Do you have any suggestions on how to avoid this problem?

Thank You

1.JPG

[Commercial link removed and replaced with screenshot to facilitate discussion.]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Strongly suggest as Trevor (Tronhard) pointed out to dive into the manual and/or basic online photography courses.

For portrait photography tips, two of my favorite photographers are Canon Explorers of Light Lindsay Adler and Peter Hurley.   Do check out Peter's "The Headshot" and Lindsay's "The Photographer's Guide to Posing: Techniques to Flatter Everyone"

In terms of "Digital Lens", I don't see that mentioned on the product page of your new camera.  Instead, it mentions "Digital Zoom" which I personally do not like at all.  It can lead to much lower quality images.  Always better is "Optical Zoom" which is what your original point and shoot had (up to 10 times).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

There are many articles which I tried to post some of on here about how typical wide angle lenses in camera phones distort faces and I have gotten this face distortion myself just not the double chin this Cannon camera causes me. I have taken pictures and other people have taken pictures of me with other cameras including cheap cell phone cameras where my face was in the same level position and lighting in the same room when I took them my self,but I never got a double chin much less pronounced double chin like I did with this camera and as I said even when my father took a test shot picture of me when we got this camera back in November 2019, it did the same thing and it made me look terrible,the sides of my face were stretched too almost as bad as a typical wide angle lens camera phone,so my ears were blocked.

Perhaps this is not the right camera for this application.  As to the distortion, if you want to take selfies, the distortion is usually resolved by using a selfie-stick attached to the phone to move you further from the phone.  I think you need to sit with someone who is familiar with you and camera, that you feel comfortable with, and get them to go through the process.

We do our best to resolve solutions for Canon cameras here, but we this interface is not the right medium for teaching you by experiment and trial and error how to take selfies of yourself.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements