cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make the background blurry when shooting a video?

ArianaB
Apprentice

Hello, I would like to know how to make a background blurry while shooting a video NOT taking pictures.

I am using a Powershot SX500 IS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I don't see any way of doing it with a point-and-shoot type camera.  The only way you're going to get the result you want is by using a DSLR and a lens with an aperture F1.8 or less if possible, but a 1.8 should be sufficient for most needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

hsbn
Whiz

Movie or still, it's the same concept. You'll need a shallow depth of field. In your case, it's hard to do with a P&S camera since the sensor is small. That's why people spend tons of $$ to achieve the effect.

The most you can try on your camera is zoom in at maximum (you'll have to stand really far away), and your subject has to be a distant away from the background. Check your LCD to see if the background is blurry enough for your taste. If you want more blurry background, move your subject further from the background. If it's still not enough, then that's the limit of point and shoot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

The thing is, I am shooting a video. People will be taking and I need to record that also. It's for a youtube thing. 

I have heard people used manual focus, but I can't get that to work either. I know about lowering the aperture, but that makes little difference.

I don't see any way of doing it with a point-and-shoot type camera.  The only way you're going to get the result you want is by using a DSLR and a lens with an aperture F1.8 or less if possible, but a 1.8 should be sufficient for most needs.

For your setting, it's not possible with your camera. Auto focus or manual focus doesn't matter. You want a shallow DOF, you'll need a wide aperture setting. The aperture on your camera is not wide enough to provide out of focus background.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
Announcements