cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Please

DiamondDoll
Contributor

I just bought a Powershot SX420IS and installed a SD MICRO memory card.  However, I keep getting a message “Memory Card error”  and I cannot seem to figure out the problem.  The card is UNLOCKED and brand new right out of the package.  Could this be a card that is NOT compatible with this camera?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!  Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Could be a compatibility issue. There are various SD card types. SDHC and SDXC. Check your camera manual. 

Also, microSD cards in adapters often don’t work well. Most of us here don’t recommend using that configuration. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Absolutely, always use full-size SD cards!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Could be a compatibility issue. There are various SD card types. SDHC and SDXC. Check your camera manual. 

Also, microSD cards in adapters often don’t work well. Most of us here don’t recommend using that configuration. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I think it’s probably a compatibility issue like you said.   I need to research further to see if this card is recommended. Thank you for your help! 

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Absolutely, always use full-size SD cards!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

DiamondDoll
Contributor

I do have a full size SD card but I think it’s probably a compatibility issue.  I need to research further to see if this card is recommended. Thank you for your help! 

You originally wrote that you used an SD MICRO card.  As advised they often have compatibility issues.  It seems you now indicate that you have a full-size SD card and that is not working, is that correct?

First thing is always read your manual.  I downloaded the manual and did a search for memory cards and came up with this: Camera User Guide (c-wss.com)  Look on P2 of the manual. 

Seeking to find more information, I came up with this:
Best SD Cards for Canon PowerShot SX420 | 2022 (havecamerawilltravel.com)

cheers, TREVOR

CrystalCountess
Apprentice

I purchased a "counterfeit" sd card with my camera (unknowingly).  Not knowing how a wonky memory card can bug up your camera pronto and big time.  I was so mad I almost refunded this camera 2000D and was never going to use the product again.  I wrote my full story as my first post.  But yeah there are a lot of wonky cards on the market now and our Canons want nothing but the real best I guess.  At least yours is telling you the card is a wonk.  I didn't get that far with mine.  Good luck!

Thank you for the information.  That really sucks.  Hopefully the store where you purchased this card will take some responsibillity but it seems lately that GOOD customer service is a thing of the past.  I think my card is probably obsolete as I did purchase it several years ago but it was still unopened.  

SD memory cards don't get obsolete.

You have not given the full name/description of your memory card. It is all on the label.

Announcements