cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot G1X mk3 lens error w/6 beeps..........

TedR
Contributor

My beautiful G1XmkIII camera has given perfect service for three years (amateur use) but yesterday the camera got trapped in the corner of the bedside table un-noticed, and when I swung the lamp round the camera lens cap took a hit, probably a steady squeezing force for a few seconds on the lens cap with the lens out. Now it says "lens error, will shut down automatically, restart camera" and fires off a quick burst of six beeps. Shut-down is not accomplished, the lens stays extended. Play mode and the GUI work 100%. I suspect six beeps decodes as a message something like "help send me back to Canon!" but I fear the high cost of their parts and labor. Multiple attempts to fix things by replacing battery, holding down the power switch, pressing sequences of multiple buttons at random etc, did not help. I am pretty good at electronics and camera repair, I know how the Powershot hardware is put together, can anyone report on what the six beep code means and successful techniques for dealing with this fault type?

1 REPLY 1

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Likely the best solution is to call Canon support directly 1-800-OK-CANON.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements