cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDR in the G7X

altopiet
Contributor

Hi, coming from my DSLR HDR function to the G7X, I'm a bit disappointed to say the least.

The HDR function in "Natural" setting seems to make no diffirence in HDR scenes. Going into the various Art options you get something going, but the saturation of the colours in those settings are not my cup of tea.

Would it be possible for Canon to give more options regarding how many stops ( at least -3 to +3) one can pick in the natural setting, via a firmware update?

Christo
15 REPLIES 15

Hi. Ah yes. DSLR still the best option for HDR.  Phone will be the simplest just for that one. However, having G7X on hand we can still "represent" high quality pictures from a small sized camera rather than from that big  DSLR. 

Yeah, I also put my 7D at home now, prefer to bring my new G7X for daily use. Only on special purposes I will return to my 7D , i.e. when I have to shoot something like birds at a distance, sport activities, etc.  Enjoy my new G7X so far.  Tx.

scrufftie
Apprentice

I don't know whether this has been answered for you but you can choose how many stops the AEB uses.  

First, put the camera in AEB mode.  Then turn the expsoure compenstaion dial, whcih brings up an extra bracketing display.  Press Menu.  The Control Dial will then allow you to expand the AEB range up to 2 stops.

Hi, changing the settings in AEB have no influence in HDR, actually that is the setting I would like in HDR, to give a wider range of options in creating OOC HDR to my taste:)

Christo

ernies
Apprentice
Thank you for your question. I have been trying to find out if the G7x has an HDR mode that works in the "natural" setting. I was recently told by Canon support that yes, HDR works in natural mode. I had my doubts that this person knew what they were talking about and you have helped to confirm my doubts.

I am researching this because I have an S120 and HDR does not work in natural. I contacted Canon support when I first purchased the camera and the rep tested this function it while I was on the phone. The rep at that time confirmed that HDR mode did not have any effect in the natural setting! However, the rep offered no solution. Canon is selling a defective camera and is doing nothing about it.

I am sorry to hear that this defect continues with the G7x as I was planning to purchase it as a replacement for the S120. Now, I will research whether the Sony RX100 does a better job in this area.

Thanks again.

If you want to get full HDR in realtime, just forget Canon G7X and most probably Canon G7X Mark II too. They have HDR function, which should not even be called like that. HDR just simple making three photos and then spending 5-10 seconds of calculations to do 1-5% correction. And as I remember in bracketing mode you have for most scenarios too big time delay taken between each snapshot to have a nice photos afterwards.

I had before Sony RX100 and it has full customize HDR, even in the first camera release which was 2 years before Canon. I did around 30-50% photos in HDR, particularly to see people faces in the sunny days conditions. On my last holidays I was devastated, when I could not make on my Canon G7X photos in most sunny days. All faces and people were dark from whatever angle against soon I took the picture.

I know this topic really well as I am project manager responsible for development of live streaming and stitching of pictures for camera base systems installed in cars from BMW.

It is not too that Canon do not have this functionality, most Canon DIGIT 6 SLRs can do correct HDR.

Shame on You Canon! If you need help with bringing true HDR to Canon G7X just contact people from CHDK, they already did it for you, unfortunately not for Canon G7X,but for other Digic 6 cameras, or contact us, we will do it for you!!!

I agree completely, a shame that they've neglected a feature that is actually quite commonly used nowadays....

For the price one would've expected more, I wonder if they would ever consider a firmware update to compact camera, this is my first Canon product. 

All in alI I really like the camera:)

Christo
Announcements