cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G9X Mark II Macro Mode not as good as SX620HS ?

Jesse123
Apprentice

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for your help

I photograph small objects (coins) and the macro mode is the main function I use.

The G9X Mark II does not seem to focus nearly as close as the Powershot SX620 HS we currently have. Both have the same specs (5cm focus distance). Both zoomed all the way out - the SX620 HS gets a clear image MUCH closer (the coin taking up half of the screen) - the G9X Mark II you must be much further away - the result after cropping the photo of the coin is a 2x larger photo (around 2000 pixels) for the SX620 HS , vs as little as 1000pixels on a very small coin on the G9X Mark II

I do have the macro mode selected under the Program mode - i've also tried auto and hybrid auto. The photographs themselves are an improvement, but this distance focus is much further away which is a deal breaker - i'm going to have to keep using the SX620HS which is very disappointing - any suggestions? Could there be something wrong with the camera? Thanks for your help

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Typically you want to zoom *in*, with the lens in telephoto mode.

When I am photographing a dime sized coin under a pretty bright LED light, the SX620HS (25x optical zoom) lets me get very close, gives me a green 'focus' box. this results in pretty large photos - it also allow me to zoom in extra a small amount in macro mode, but even without zooming, it allows me to get very close to a dime sized object. The G9X Mark II (3x optical zoom) is making me stay about 2 inches away - but it seems so much further, when I cropped the dime sized object down its 1500 pixels maximum... I get 2500 pixel images regularly with the SX620HS on a cropped photo.

Larger objects seem to be clearer on the g9x than the sx620hs.. but if you cant get close enough to a dime to fill most of the frame is something wrong with the camera? I've owned several powershots and this one makes me stay so far out in macro mode I am going to have to keep using the SX620HS

Nope, by my calculations, the macro mode is not very macro for the G9X.

Standard Mode

35 mm equiv focal length:   28          84

min focus (inch)                    2            13.2

fov(deg)                                  54            29

size of image(inch)*             2              6.8

Macro Mode

35 mm equiv focal length:   28          84

min focus (inch)                    2            19.2

fov(deg)                                  54            29

size of image(inch)*             2              9.9

*2*minfocus * tan(fov/2)

You can play with the digital zoom, but it appears that the G9X is not good for macro shots.

SX620HS

Closest Focusing Distance

1 cm (W) from front of lens in Macro

G9X MARK II
Closest Focusing Distance: 5 cm (Wide) from front of lens35 cm (Tele) from front of lens

Apparently the focusing distance makes a huge difference on a dime sized coin - something bigger like a half dollar looks pretty good actually, although the pixels will be maximum 1800-2000 still smaller photographs after cropping the object.

Any other canon camera model recommondations in the 1CM or less focusing distance range?

I got the O**** TG-5 because it is a waterproof tough camera, but it has a set of awesome macro modes, as well as an add-on ring light.

The M series has an EF-M 28mm F3.5 macro with a built in ring light that will focus to 1.2X life size.

(It will focus to about 3", but with that focal length and sensor size, the dime will fill the image.)

Announcements