cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G5x "charge the battery" message

DirkRoland
Apprentice

Howdy, 

I have a G5X and recently have been unable to use the camera. When I turn it on the green light flashes twice and on the display a message reads: "charge the battery." I figured maybe I had a bad battery so I tried my fully charged back up, same message. I tried the paper trick and it definietly doesn't seem to be a contact issue, the entire compartment looks clean and the contacts have no visible corrosion. I hesitate to send it in if it may be a simple fix I can correct myself. Any help would be much appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Are you using Canon branded OEM batteries and charging using a factory charger?

Is it possible it might have an issue?

Have you checked the batteries with an Ohms meter (verify they are charged and supplying correct voltage). 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the idea, I just tested the voltage and it is reading 4.5v on one battery and 6v on the other (right after removing from chrager). The labeled voltage is 3.6V. I didn't mention in my first post that when the battery is fresh off the charger the camera will turn on but flashes the red low battery symbol for about 15 seconds before shutting off. The voltage doesn't change after trying it in the camera and it shutting off. I was hoping it was a faulty charger as that would be a simple and inexpensive solution!

A side note: because I'm using a harbor freight multi-meter and for the first time I checked the voltage on another canon battery (LP-E17) which is labeled 7.2V and it showed a reading of 10.04V.  

click here to view the gallery
Announcements