cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware Version 1.1.0 for the PowerShot ELPH 360 HS

jeclose
Contributor

For point and shoot users, this process seems un-necessarily complicated and obtuse, but I have gamely tried to follow the rules to get this done, but I'm stymied by simple considerations that Canon doesn't think necessary to answer, perhaps thinking these are dumb questions beneath them:

1) Do I need an SD card reader in order to accomplish this firmware update? (I don't seem to have whatever this is)
or,2) Is wirelessly connecting the camera to my computer to download pictures a comparable function to #1 above?  

Let's hope you subscribe to the philosophy that "there are no stupid questions", and will provide me an answer so I am move forward with this  unpleasant task.

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Werlcome.

Yes, you will need an SD card reader. Many computers have them built-in. If not they are available very inexpensively from Staples or the like.

Screenshot 2023-05-25 075901.jpg

From reading the release notes it looks like this firmware update is only necessary iof you are going to be sending images to the image.canon website.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank - I did discover  (for the first time) that my computer does have an SD card reader built in, after I sent the above message.    I don't really use the image.canon website,  but since I've started this process, I'll carry on and finish it.  

I was able to successfully install the firmware, but the last part of the instructions leaves me (and probably others) hanging:  It says to "initialize the memory card", but provides no guidance on how that is done.   Is it as simple as removing the SD card and reinserting it?   That's what I did, as the instructions say to remove the SD card.   Well, once you remove the card, you presumably reinsert it, and that's what I did.   Does that constitute "initializing"?    Canon could learn how to communicate a whole lot better to it's customers.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Initialing is the same as formatting in camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

So if the card has already been formatted prior to removal from the camera, then it has also been "initialized", no?

Canon recommends it because it will delete the .fir file. It's not an essential step.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Well, I just formatted it again, FWIW. 

Announcements