cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Naming SX40

TDKMate
Apprentice

Hello,

I searched the forum but didn't find what I am looking for.  I have a PowerShot and have the Menu set to Continuous to keep the file numbering consecutive but every time I put my photos on the computer and delete them from the memory card, the file numbering resets to 0000.

I then have to go in the computer and renumber all the photos/movies to the correct numbers.  This is quite a hassle and is very time consuming.

How do I keep the file numbering consecutive?

I also don’t seem to have an option to turn off the Monthly Folder option, either.

Please help.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TDKMate
Apprentice

For anyone with the same problem, I found an easy fix!  First figure out what file number you wish to begine with.  For me it was IMG_0989.  Put the memory card in your computer's reader and open up the current directory and copy any photos to  your computer that you want to keep. 

Once you have your copies you wish to keep on the computer, delete all but the last couple from the memory card.

Now rename the photos on the memory card to the last numbers just before the new, correct number.  For me it was IMG_0987 and IMG_0988.  

My next test shot started at IMG_0989 just as I wanted.  No more renaming all those files Smiley Happy

(I would imagine you could leave just one shot on the memory card for this trick to work, but I didn't test it.)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mykolas
Authority

Hi TDKMate!

Thanks for posting!

You can change settings in CameraWindow for this.  Please follow these steps:

Note: Have the camera connected and powered on in playback.

1. Launch CameraWindow.
  2. Click on [Preferences].
  3. Select [Change Auto Download Settings].

Here you can make changes to the file/folder naming and structure.

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

TDKMate
Apprentice

Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting back on this!  Unfortunately I still need some help please. 

I assume you mean to connect the camera to the computer.  I have always just put the memory card in the computer for the years I've owned the camera, meaning I have never installed any of the software.  I searched Canon's site and found 4 possible downloads to use but don't know which one is required:

Image Browser

Photo Stitch (probably not)

Camera Window, and

Zoom Browser (probably not)

I also didn't find any USB ports on the camera, just HDMI and an A/V Out.  Should I assume it's the A/V Out?  ...if so, I hope I can find the cable in storage...  Smiley Sad

Thanks!

TDKMate

(PS: do you have any idea why the camera all of a sudden started this?  It use to keep consecutive numbering until just recently.)

TDKMate,

If you are not using the Canon software to download image directly from the camera, then the program you are using to download the images is changing the file numbers / folder structure.  You will need to check in the settings of that program to see if you can change how this is being done.  Most image downloading applications allow you to specify how the images are downloaded and where they are downloaded to.

If you prefer to continue using a card reader to download the image directly from the memory card, the easiest way to download the images would be to manually drag-and-drop them from the memory card to the location / folder you want them to be in.

If in the future you would like to connect the camera directly, the applications you will need are ImageBrowser EX and CameraWindow DC.  The A/V OUT and DIGITAL connection terminal are the same.  The USB cable that came with the camera will connect through that terminal.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the tips Smiley Happy  I finally found a cord that connects the camera to the computer, and download/installed those two programs.  I found settings in CameraWindow that appear to help: I changed the camera 'folder' option to the 'date' option.  I'll have to take some photos to see if that helped...

I didn't find any camera settings in ImageBrowser, though, only computer settings.  Did I miss something there? 

One thing I couldn't find is how to reset the counter in the camera.  It should be around a 1,000 shots, as in IMG_1234.jpg, but it has been reset back to zero when this problem started.  Is there a way to do this?  (Even maybe edit one of the CTG files somehow?)   Currently I'm stuck with renaming all the files (once on the computer) to the correct numbering which is a big pain.  (I use "Bulk Rename Utility" for this and highly recommend this program for file name editing: it's a great tool!)

Just to be clear, I have always used a card ready to drag-n-drop the files (with my 60D, too) to the directory of my choice on the computer, meaning I have never installed or used any special software to download the photos.  So I don't know how or why this problem started.  Smiley Sad

Any ideas?

Thanks,

TDKMate

TDKMate
Apprentice

For anyone with the same problem, I found an easy fix!  First figure out what file number you wish to begine with.  For me it was IMG_0989.  Put the memory card in your computer's reader and open up the current directory and copy any photos to  your computer that you want to keep. 

Once you have your copies you wish to keep on the computer, delete all but the last couple from the memory card.

Now rename the photos on the memory card to the last numbers just before the new, correct number.  For me it was IMG_0987 and IMG_0988.  

My next test shot started at IMG_0989 just as I wanted.  No more renaming all those files Smiley Happy

(I would imagine you could leave just one shot on the memory card for this trick to work, but I didn't test it.)

Announcements