Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon s110 has a serious lens flare problem

coolzeke
Apprentice

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

Hi, I just bought a canon s110, and everything works great except for when the lens gets anywhere near a light. When the camera is pointing at any bit of light, it has a really bad lens flare. I don't know if this is a common problem, I tried cleaning it with my other camera cleaning kit, but nothing changed. Any help?

7 REPLIES 7

diverhank
Authority

This doesn't look like lens flare...are you sure you didn't accidentally activate some sort of in-camera special effects?  You might want to reset the camera to factory defaults...just in case...

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Thanks for the reply, I also factory reset the camera and it still does the same thing.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I find the fact that the effect is at an angle to be rather curious.  Are you using a lens filter of some kind?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The camera does this at any angle, there's no effect, and no lens filter.

I looked at the EXIF data for your pictures and I think I found your problem...

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot S110
Image Date: 2017-08-29 20:40:20 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 7.488mm
Aperture: ƒ/2.8
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
ISO equiv: 640
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined

Your camera is taking photos ONE MONTH INTO THE FUTURE! Robot surprised But before you have it repaired I need you to take some sample shots for me of some winning lottery tickets. Just for research purposes, you understand. Man Wink

But seriously, if cleaning the front of the lens doesn't cure this problem there may a coating of something on one of the inner lens elements. And that's a cleaning job for someone else to tackle.

newsense52
Rising Star

Try to change the settings in light metering.

Press Func/set-light metering and select spot. There are three options give a try evaluative.

Try cleaning the glass on the lens. It kind of looks like maybe it has a residue of some kind on it which is doing funny things with thelights. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements