cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon G16

Gumucio
Contributor

Can anybody tell why my Powershot G16 shuts off automatically on video mode after 16 min EVEN if I have selected the option NOT TO POWER OFF? It is really bothering to have a camera with thousands of gadgets (that you never use) and simple things do not work. Battery is full, so that is not the reason. The 212 page manual is not very helpful. 

13 REPLIES 13

cicopo
Elite

Most often this is caused by a memory card that's too slow for the video file to be wrote to it. video fills up a lot of space quickly, and if the card write speed is too slow the buffer fills & the camera stops recording. Check the WRITE spec for your card & see what the manual recommends as the minimum.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Many thanks... I checked... I have a Ultra 32 GB, 40 MB/s SanDisk card. Shouldn't this be enough?

Probably not but I don't have a G 16 nor the manual nor do I shoot video with any of my cameras. PLUS many manufacturers list the read speed rather than the write speed because it is usually higher. Look up the WRITE speed & check your manual. You can't have too fast of a card but you sure can have too slow of one.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Well, the manual says cards should be "Speed Class 6 or higher"... Mine is Speed Class 10, and still doesn't serve the purpose. The manual doesn't say anything in the specs about writing and reading speed. I won't bother you anymore, but I'm quite disappointed with this camera. Too many features, but the most common don't work well.

What video quality and speed are you shooting? If its FHD/60, 4GB is just about 16 minutes.

Capture2.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I'm using the highest of course (which is the main reason why I bought this camera), and still do not understand why it should stop at 4GB if a have a great 32GB card... The manual may say that, but I don't get the rationale...

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

From manual:

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Yes, thanks, I read it in the manual and I still don't understand why they limit the recording time if you have a card class 10, 32 GB... Just doesn't make any sense.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
4GB is a technical limit for FAT32 if I'm not mistaken.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements