cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't update to new firmware on Powershot SX530HS

IhateCanon1
Contributor

I am very impressed that Canon chose to update their firmware without warning during a global pandemic with NO customer support.

It is grreat, just GREAT, that I can't connect my Powershot SX530 HS to my iPhone or computer through Wifi anymore.  I now have a very expenisve paperweight.

The update will wipe the entire memory card?  Good thing we have a way to get all those pictures saved, right???  Oh, wait a second....

So, after borrowing an adapter, and buying and formating a new card, I followed the directions and downloaded the firmward update onto the new card which had been formatted in the camera per instructions.

Then putting it back in the camera, it can take pictures.  But when trying to connect to the Canon.Image rather than the old image Gateway, all it does is tell me that I need to update the date and time (which is correct and what it did before)..

Not that anyone has major life events happening now while also trying to take care of a job and homeschoolign children, but Canon can't bother answering the #&^*(& phone.  Boy I am so happy I have a Canon camera. 

24 REPLIES 24

Hello Tronhard,

My issues have NOT been resolved by purchasing a SD card reader.

I can use the memory card to transfer pictures to my computer.  I have been doing this. 

I can’t use wifi to upload photos to my computer or phone.  I can’t use the Canon applications.  My camera is supposed to have this feature.

I can’t get customer support.

A solution of “the function that used to work no longer works because of our update so do something else” is not a good solution.  It is a cop-out.   

It is frustrating and disappointing.

And the fact that Canon caused this problem and has no interest in fixing it- a problem many people are having- is not inspiring much trust in the company or brand loyalty. 
- I STILL hate Canon1

I'm sincerely sorry to know this is still an issue for you.  I have little help for you in this situation as I studiously avoiding using WiFi or Bluetooth with cameras, but that is a different issue.   I try to help where I can, but I can't provide assistance with this.  I hope one of my colleagues can be of more assistance.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tronhard - That isn't a fix for the problem - it's a way around the fact that the device isn't working the way it should.  The original post talks about the need to correct the date and time - the same problem as I am having - when in fact the date and time are already correct. That's the problem that needs a solution.  Maybe you can tell me where the update firmware option is in the menu system because my menu system is exactly like the photo from smtncop.

txjeff
Contributor

Several weeks ago I got the firmware updated.  There is actually a Menu option for Firmware update.  For some reason, initially when I messed with the camera, I wasn't finding it and later, scrolling around on the menus, I found the option.  

When we are stressed, the brain is denied blood to the Neocortex - the intelligent part of the brain, and we tend to use the Limbic part - the more primitive Flight, Fight or Freeze part.  We also become long-sighted (tension in eye muscles) and less observant.  So, all of the physiology is stacked against one in that scenario.

I would respectfully suggesting noting my suggestions regarding regularly off-loading images from your camera and formatting the card.  I would hate to have you lose your precious images. 🙂

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

My use of the camera is very minimal.  So when I do take pics I immediately offload them to a laptop.  The real challenge has always been the super short battery life.  I bought a battery adapter that plugs in, but it's poorly made and doesn't stay in the camera battery slot well.  Been an IT professional for 16 years and honestly, I would say I still think it's weird that I couldn't find that Firmware update feature and suddenly I could.  I feel like maybe I hit a different scroll button or something to get to it.  Don't remember now as it was at least 2.5 months ago now.

I know how you feel.  I had a parallel career in IT from the mid-1980's, helped with the interface design for Windows and was a master trainer for MS and IBM, but I still get frustrated with Adobe products because they don't follow the 'rules' of windows!   I keep a bunch of batteries for those bodies I have that don't take battery grips and that helps.  Still, not using the camera directly to offload also saves wear and tear on them.  Someone once said that the worst thing you can do is use a battery a lot or a very little - so apparently there is a sweet spot in there somewhere...

cheers, TREVOR

txjeff
Contributor

I will look now for you.  Honestly it was months ago since I messed with it.  Standby and I'll reply again.

That was a reply to my private message asking about the firm update menu item --- but I found it!  I think the menu item only appears when you have the firmware update file (only) on the SD card and it is a newer version than on the camera.  After update the menu item no longer showed up.

That is correct.  Canon is not alone in having this feature to simply the process.  The instructions do require one to have  clean card to do the update.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements