cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera shake warning when IS is off

John73293
Apprentice

I have a SX710 HS and at full zoom, with image stabilization turned off, the camera shake warning comes on at a shutter speed of 1/200 or slower. The 35mm focal length equivalent is 750mm, and there is a rule of thumb that the shutter speed should be 1/focal length when hand holding a camera. Even though the actual focal length is 135 mm, the standard 35mm  equavalent 750mm applies because it is the combination of focal length and sensor size that determines the effect of camera shake. The photos turn out fine at 1/250 sec even though I can see in the display I am not holding the camera perfectly steady. Is my reasoning incorrect? Can anyone explain why I don't see blurring due to camera shake as such slow shutter speeds when image stabilization is turned off?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"Can anyone explain why I don't see blurring due to camera shake as such slow shutter speeds when image stabilization is turned off?"  

Don't complain too loudly.  Do you really want blurry photos?  I guess you have pretty steady hands.  Besides, 1/250 is still pretty quick enough to freeze most minor camera movements.  Try taking photos at 1/125, 1/60, or 1/30 indoors.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements