cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A1400 How to turn off Auto Mode

RobertnoAuto
Apprentice

I have the camera in automode and would like to switch to P or Live mode.   Manual does not say how to get out of Auto Mode.   I cannot switch to any other modes until i deactivate Auto Mode first.  Arggg!

Thank you

10 REPLIES 10

John_
Authority

You just have to press the "up" arrow repeatedly until it displays the mode you want.

shooting mode.JPG

I do not see these Options no matter how many times I press the up arrow.   Pressing the up arrow/Auto/Erase button ony gives me the AUTO sign.  Most of the options do not appear.

I need to turn the AUTO off.

John_
Authority
Your button may not be working you can both or either. Do a reset all thru settings or turn off remove battery close gallery door then hold on switch on for 45 seconds.

I too can not get to P mode. Pressing the up key gives me two options, Auto and FaceSelf Timer. If I press the center button on Auto I can only choose image sizes. I want to set focus on infinite because I shoot action pictures of skiing and the delay for autofocus makes impoossible to have any idea when the shutter will operate in that situation. I have been trying for hours and can not find any way to get to P mode or select the icon for distance. I saw it once but when I scrolled, the display jumped past it and I have not even been able to find it again.

Seems odd...P mode is available almost always with 2 exceptions. A resolution set to M or Continuos shooting modes will not allow P mode settings.

Outsie of those just pushing the "up"  arrow should allow you to set it or you have a problem

I'm not in either of those and just to make sure I reset the camera. No difference. No choices beyond FaceSelf Timer (which I now realize is where the distance icon appears but jumps over) and Auto (which does not lead me to P).

I bought the A1400 mainly ofr the optical viewfinder because I can't see the display without reading glasses (which I can't ski with) or in bright sunlight. So it's great for landscapes but when I want to shoot a skier, the shutter delays anywhere between one and 5 or more seconds, which just does not work. So I want to try to prevent the camera from autofocusing because I imagine that would help and because my subject is always farther than 10 feet from the camera.

In the screen capture from the manual you posted above, John, I do not see any of those choices.

OK, so I called Canon and the way to do this is not as it appears in the documentation. It is kind of like the instructions... to defuse the bomb, cut the red wire... [turn the page]... BUT not until after you cut the blue wire. Really poor documentation when there are two layers of navigation you have to do to get to it that are not referenced anywhere.

Actually, here are the steps as I remember them:

1. Press the up button

2. When FaceSelf Timer appears, select that by pressing the FUNC button (why this is under that menu is a complete mystery to me and the documentation does not say this anywhere).

3. NOW press the up button again until you see the P. You have to press it several times.

4. Press the FUNC button to select P.

5. Press the FUNC button again.

6. Press the up button again until you find the icon that looks like a mountain. 

7. Press the FUNC button to select the mountain.

8. Press the down button to select the other mountain that does not have a person on it (what is supposed to look like a person just looks like a mountain so I can tell they are different but I do not see a person--I'm old).

I tried the camera and it was still extremely slow to take a picture. So I was instructed to set continuous shooting mode with a similar progression of steps. Holding the button down to take continuous pictures, there is still a delay that grows longer the longer I hold the button down. So it really is no different from pressing the button. It's too bad because I need an optical viewfinder to be able to use a camera at all but I don't want to invest in a DSLR or carry something that bulky when I am skiing. Oh well, the joys of being an old fart with strong legs. 😉

lol Oh stop with the old stuff !! These cameras are fairly complex and as you've found out the instructions are not always crystal clear or complete !

Also that manual covers a few versions of that model camera which makes it more likely to omit some exact instructions. It is a great camera though once you get over the initial hurdles and tricks.

But now Im confused lol !!  From what I could find in the manual Continuos shooting is a "no-no" in Program mode ?

As far as the delay if you are still in P mode it could be coming from the ISO and or Film speed to low or a flash is required? I didnt look to see if you have to manually lift the flash up on your camera ?

When you look at the LCD do you see any blinking icons during the delay such as a lightning bolt for the flash or some other one ?

You are making progress though and the good people at Canon are sometimes the fastest way to go especially for something like this you have uncovered. As I said these cameras now are like mini computers and sometimes help is needed to get to where you want to.....so when you feel your wheels spinning again ask here or call Canon before you burn out a tire !!!

Hang in there though do ont give up you'll be happy you didn't ~

Ya, I was surprised at that too because I read that in the manual. But it does work. I was indoors in a poorly lighted space when I did it so I don't really know yet. Proof will be if I can get better action shots. Here is a picture I took with it in Japan in February. Did a little processing to up the contrast because it was so foggy. 

11006367_10153200819139073_6779058963391061657_n (1).jpg

And I only joke about being old. I do not act my age in any way, shape, or form. Thanks for the help!

Announcements