cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setting up ImageFormula DR-C225 on Linux

juni1
Apprentice

I just bought a Canon ImageFormula DR-C225 scanner.  My computer is running the Ubuntu 14.04 operating system.  The scanner itself did not come with a driver for Linux.  However, I was able to find one on www.canon-europe.com.  That driver, however, needs to be built using the autoconf, configure, and make commands.  I am running into errors while attempting to build it.

"Make" gets stuck trying to use a file that it can't find.  I looked through all of the online forums I could find; many mentioned similar issues, but none had a solution that worked for me.  I called Canon's technical support line, and they told me that they don't provide technical support for the Linux scanner driver.  They suggested I call a local computer repair shop.  I left a message at a local computer repair shop, and they didn't return the message.  I searched for "Linux help [my city]," and was able to connect with a guy who teaches Linux classes for a living, and he had to admit that he wouldn't be able to help me with this.  I'm almost ready to send the scanner back to the store.  It's a shame because this scanner got such great reviews, for example, on pcmag.com (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2472494,00.asp).

If anybody here can make sense of it, the error message I get from "make" looks like this:

client.c:30:24: fatal error: sane/sanei.h: No such file or directory
 #include "sane/sanei.h"
                        ^
compilation terminated.

I have inspected the client.c file, and it contains the following:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>