cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mf634 usb recognized win7 but not printing

nrs1
Apprentice

win 7

have reinstalled software ...uninstalled per windows...........checked cables.....this is a dell box that has worked with this printer many times before....nothing else seems amiss.

print spool is started............printer recognized every time with two different usb cables.............and prints from its own display (consumables page).....but sits there with document in que.

desperate....help pse

thnx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

for reasons I still don't know, the printer did not install as a usb printer. it was on lpt1.

i kept deleting printers from devices and printers until there were no more, rebooted the computer, and the printer immediately installed itself on a usb port as it should have.

test page worked and I assume it is fine now.

thanks for taking the time to help me.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Very first step.  Ensure you don't have any unprinted documents stuck in your print queue.  If clear, lets see how the printer is communicating with the computer.  (You should only have one instace of the printer present)

The printer should be connected directly to a USB port and not through a hub (example)

Now open:

Control Panel > Device and Printers > Right-click on the printer icon and select Printer Properties from the context menu.

Now select the ports tab and review for a port with the prefix "USB..."  you may see one or more entries with the name of your printer present.  One should have a check mark.

If so, try unplugging the printer and moving the USB connection to another USB port.  Ensure there are no unprinted documents in the print queue and try printing again.  If this fails, remove the most recent failed document from the queue.

If there is another USB entry in "Ports", with the printer's name, select it and apply.  Retest printing

Below is an example photo of what printer properties looks like.

USB.png

If these steps do not help, we will need more information about your environment.  What type of antivirus you have installed, etc

If needed here is a link to driver and software downloads for your device

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

many thanks.

i have used the dialogue box to learn that there are no documents in the que, but I have noted that the printer icon on the status box does indicated one where there should not be one.

upon seeing this I have turned the printer on and off, reinstalled software, gone to task manager to delete the print spooler...and tried all this in various orders and at various times.

is there some way I may have missed, to be positive there is nothing in a que when on place says "no" and the other says "yes"?

again, thanks!

ps i should have added that even when the status indicator and the dialogue box one can open on the printer say that there is nothing in the que, it will not work.

fwiw, the computer is communicating enough such that the utlility to see how much carts have left, works perfectly well.

the antivirus, bitdefender, is certainly not stopping any of that, and I get no messages that concern me nor is anything else not working propery.

also, this is the same antivirus program I used for the last two years when the printer was working.

for reasons I still don't know, the printer did not install as a usb printer. it was on lpt1.

i kept deleting printers from devices and printers until there were no more, rebooted the computer, and the printer immediately installed itself on a usb port as it should have.

test page worked and I assume it is fine now.

thanks for taking the time to help me.

Announcements