cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS Drivers ARM Compatibility

dexman335
Rising Star
Rising Star

With the upcoming release of Windows computers that are powered by new ARM chips/processors, the compatibility of drivers for imageCLASS and other Canon products comes to mind.

Some of these new computers look interesting, but if the Canon drivers won't work with these newer computers, then that is problematic.

So, I'll ask the $50k question. Are the drivers compatible? If not, will new drivers be introduced shortly to make the transition from x86 to ARM as seamless as possible? 🤔
If new drivers are required, how far back in the Canon office printer line will Canon go with rolling out the new drivers? 🤔

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Paul,

ARM based printer support is still limited at this time.  Even this doc is probably slightly out of date.

Canon Knowledge Base - PIXMA / MAXIFY Products: Windows 10 / Windows 11 on ARM-Based Computers  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Good morning,

Microsoft has been making ARM based Surface laptops for years.  I'm not sure what the answer is, but for the time being I advise others not to invest in this technology since both hardware and software compatibility issues exist.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

dexman335
Rising Star
Rising Star

Morning Rick!

That was what I thought the suggestion was going to be. I'm a Microsoft Surface user. Their newest consumer facing units (Surface Pro 11 and Surface Laptop 6) are ARM powered, while the business facing versions use familiar Intel processors.

My Surface Laptop 1 will be due for a replacement (works well but is stuck with Windows 10 unless I hack the registry).

Looks like I'll be trying to order from the business lineup. 😐

Paul

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Paul,

ARM based printer support is still limited at this time.  Even this doc is probably slightly out of date.

Canon Knowledge Base - PIXMA / MAXIFY Products: Windows 10 / Windows 11 on ARM-Based Computers  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

dexman335
Rising Star
Rising Star

Hi Rick,

Hopefully printer manufacturers will begin releasing firmware to accommodate upcoming Windows on Arm computers. 🙂

Paul

Announcements