cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to download Firmware update for MF642C

digitalox
Apprentice

Hello,

I'm unable to update my firmware on my mfc462CDW due to my serial number being rejected. I'm not sure why it needs my serial number and from searching the forums this seems to be due to an old bug in the system where it doesn't accept serial numbers that start with a number. Is there a workaround? We would like to get the latest security updates and such.

Regards,

Scott

8 REPLIES 8

Stephen

Hi, Scott.

Can you please verify the model of your printer?

Canon doesn't make an MFC line (I think that's Brother's naming scheme), and we don't have an MF462Cdw. We do have an imageCLASS MF462dw, a monochrome (black-and-white) laser printer. You can get info on it HERE.

digitalox
Apprentice

Hi Stephen,

Apologies for the confusion on my part, it is MF642C.

Thanks,

Scott

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Does your printer have internet connectivity, wired or wireless?

Look at the printers LCD, scroll to the right and look for an icon that looks like the printer with a blue arrow aiming down.  Tap that and be patient.  The download and verification step takes a little time.  Finally, you should be prompted to restart the device.  Once started, do not press any keys or send jobs to the printer until complete.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi,

Unfortunately, the screen is cracked so I'm not able to use that functionality. I tried connecting to its http portal but didn't see that option on any of the screens.

Regards,

Scott

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Without the LCD, you'll have to perform the update using the update utility.  To do that you'll need your serial number. If you log into the Remote UI, you can verify the product's serial number there.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I have its serial number which starts with 2LQ*****

The support pages here will not take it and give the message "The serial number you have entered is incorrect, or does not belong to an applicable product. Please check the product serial number and the applicable product to make sure it is correct and re-enter it in the field."

I've searched the forum and found other users years back with the same issue due to bug of the system not accepting serial numbers starting with a number. I can't even register it so I am stuck.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Just one extra step then.  Call support tomorrow morning. They will assist you. They'll get your serial number added and send you a link for the download.  When you speak to the support rep, tell them that you don't think your printer's serial number is in the database. 🙂

1(800) 652-2666

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Will do, thanks much!

Announcements