cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer driver for MF656Cdw on Mac is poor

mreg
Apprentice

Are there any other options for a printer driver for these printers?  I despise the Canon Mac driver -- I'm using the CARPS2 driver version 10.19.20.  It does not come close to providing options to take advantage of all of the printer's features, and even the selection for duplex printing is buried in a lower menu.

I'm trying to decide whether to keep the 656.  I love the printer hardware, and the brilliant quality output, but Canon's Apple support is substandard a best, or incompetent at worst.

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

dexman335
Rising Star
Rising Star

I'm a Windows & Android user, so my experience with Apple products is very limited.

With Windows, you have the option of using the basic drivers that come with the printers, or download a full set from Canon's website.

Are both of these options available to Mac users? 🤔

View solution in original post

If my memory serves me, Canon's Apple drivers have been limited compared to Windows drivers for a while now. I can't say if the situation is due to Canon or Apple. 🤔

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

dexman335
Rising Star
Rising Star

I'm a Windows & Android user, so my experience with Apple products is very limited.

With Windows, you have the option of using the basic drivers that come with the printers, or download a full set from Canon's website.

Are both of these options available to Mac users? 🤔

Basically.  There's a basic 4.0 driver that comes with MacOS, but that's even more limited.  Other brand printers have very robust Mac drivers, and from what I can see the Windows version is very good.  So what's doing with Canon and Apple I have no idea. 

If my memory serves me, Canon's Apple drivers have been limited compared to Windows drivers for a while now. I can't say if the situation is due to Canon or Apple. 🤔

mreg
Apprentice

I keep hitting Accepted Solution instead of Reply..I'm an idiot...

Yes, you have a very good point.

I think if you tap the accept as a solution button again, it will remove it from the post. 🤔

Announcements