cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first thoughts about setting up the Imageprograf Pro 2000, it was not a smooth process.

dgoldfarb1957
Contributor

Tomorrow I will be calling technical support to make what I consider some valid recommendations about their supplied documentation regarding the Print Head Alignment Process and the fact that Canon apparently does not supply with the the new printer a roll of 17" by 15' test paper.  I spent too much valuable time and wasted ink in running the Print Head Alginment Proceedure more than five times as well as running the nozzle check pattern.  I used Glossy Photo Pro paper that I had purchased years ago and was stored in a cool dry area.  Each time the Print Head Adjustment proceedure was run and completed, I was getting a "New Message" stating that the print head alignment was not performed. No where in the instructions was there any statment to perfom this step on a 17 inch by 15' roll test paper that was eventually shipped to me by Canon. Upon calling Canon technical support and explaining that I was using Canon Glossy Photo paper measuring !3"x19 inches fed perpendicular to the feed and following the loading instructions for cut sheets, I was told to disconnect the USB and Ethernet cables and reboot the printer and to try again.  Following this suggestion I still got the same error message.  Over the course of three days the machine was powered on and off thus filling the print head and ejecting good ink into the maintenance tank thus depleting the miniscule reserves of the ink in the cartridges. I again followed up with a fo call to Canon today where the recommendation was to use the roll paper sent to me by Canon to perform the Print Head Alignment.   After struggling to follow the instructions to load the roll paper, a process that was a simple task as directed by the control panel screen, I was finally able to run for a sixth time the auto alighnment of the print head. I was pleasantly surprised that this time the print head actually made a much larger printout over the 17 inches of roll paper than the pattern that was printed on the cut sheets of 13 x 19 inches. It appears the switch to the Canon test roll paper resolved the  alignment issue and I no longer received a message after the process that the "print head alignment has not been performed".    

Canon should really do a better job of detailing the proceedure and submit the test paper roll along with a brand new printer.  It would have saved me a lot of agravation for an issue that should have been straightforward. 

I am surprised that I have not read any other reports by owners of this printer for the same problems that I have had in setting up this printer.  I would like to hear if anyone else had the same experience that I had.

2 REPLIES 2

indigoimagelab
Contributor

Sorry for what must have been a frustrating experience. When I purchased my Imageprograf PRO-4000 in November 2018, it came with a pack of large "HW coated HG" sheet paper to use to set up the printer, do the print head adjustments, etc. That paper measures about 16-1/2" x 23-3/8". I guess it was big enough to print everything. I remember when the printer was set up, the entire sheet of that paper was used to print the alignment bars and other things. The setup of my printer did not require a roll to be loaded into the printer. Did your printer come with a pack of coated sheet paper like mine?

---
Neil
Indigo Image Lab, Inc.

Yes the printer was supplied with the same HW paper that you had received.  Had the instructions specified using only this paper for the Print Head Alignment, I would have done so.  I already had an open package of HW gloss Canon Paper but the size was as specified in my post only 13x19 inches and hence this was the likely reason that the Print Head Alignment did not work since I suppose the sensors that must be present on the Pro 2000 recognized the smaller cut sheet and therefore failed to go through the entire Print Head Alginment Pattern and testing.  The fault I find with the Canon documentation is that I could not see anywhere the minimum requirement cut sheet size for running the Print Head Alignment function. Had I not placed the sheets provided aside, the formality of setting up the alignment would have likely gone without a hitch.  

I did find the installion for the small 17 inch wide by 15 foot roll paper a difficult proceedure following the instructions on the control panel screen but this is a process that I have never performed before on this printer.   I actually had to pull the paper past the red line and then secure the lever in order to get the machine to adjust the paper and cut the leading edge. The onscreen instructions on the control panel indicate that the paper should be aligned up to the redish orage line and following this instruction, I was unable to get the printer to finalize the process of adjusting the roll paper.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements