cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF733Cdw will not sleep

Canononac
Apprentice

I see a lot of people having problems with their printers not waking; however, I can’t get my MF733Cdw to completely sleep. “Auto Sleep Time” is set to the default of 5 minutes. I’ve double-checked all of the settings in both the control panel and the remote UI portal pages; however,

1. Unit will not sleep if I press the ‘sleep’ button on the operation panel (per page 179 of the manual)
  2. After the (default) 5 minutes of idle time, the remote UI portal shows the scanner is in sleep mode; however, both the printer and fax are ‘ready for use’. While the ‘sleep indicator’ on the operations panel is illuminated (meaning the unit should be sleeping), the unit sounds like it is still in a ‘full ready’ status (fans/heaters on, etc). This is what makes me believe the unit is not completely sleeping.

Unit is networked via Ethernet, and fax receive mode is set to ‘manual’.

I suspect I’ve done something foolish which is preventing the unit from sleeping. Any thought/suggestions on what I’ve overlooked?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

4 REPLIES 4

James_C

Hi Canononac,

When the machine enters sleep mode,  lights up yellow green. Situations in which the machine does not enter sleep mode

When the machine is in operation
When the Data indicator is lit up or blinking
When the machine is performing an operation such as adjustment or cleaning
When a paper jam occurs
When the receiver of the external telephone is off the hook
When the machine is set such that the fax incoming ring will not sound
When the menu screen is displayed
When a job is waiting to be scanned to a USB memory device or to a computer
When an error message is displayed on the screen (There are some exceptions. The machine sometimes enters sleep mode when an error message is displayed.)
When the machine is communicating with an LDAP server, etc.
When the SSID/network key screen for Direct Connection is displayed
When settings are being imported or exported

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi -

Thanks; however, that is simply a cut-and-paste from the user manual, which is what I've been working from.  I was hoping for some guidance as to which specific settings and values can prevent the printer and fax from sleeping.  Again, I beleive I've followed the instructions in the user manual.

Thanks.

James_C

Hi Canononac 

When the machine enters sleep mode,  lights up yellow green. Situations in which the machine does not enter sleep mode

When the machine is in operation
When the Data indicator is lit up or blinking
When the machine is performing an operation such as adjustment or cleaning
When a paper jam occurs
When the receiver of the external telephone is off the hook
When the machine is set such that the fax incoming ring will not sound
When the menu screen is displayed
When a job is waiting to be scanned to a USB memory device or to a computer
When an error message is displayed on the screen (There are some exceptions. The machine sometimes enters sleep mode when an error message is displayed.)
When the machine is communicating with an LDAP server, etc.
When the SSID/network key screen for Direct Connection is displayed
When settings are being imported or exported

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

vincentng
Apprentice

Hi It happened to me with the same issue. That is, Auto Sleep does not seem to work anymore (even pressing the Sleep button). I found that there was a internet connection that is listening or video conferencing and somehow that connection interfered with the network connection of the MF733Cdw (the printer stayed active for the duration of the radio or video conferencing). In particular that same line is also the phone line and if you pick up the phone you do not get a dial tone but the conversation of the radio or video conferencing. Try hang up the phone or get the dial tone of the phone back and the printer should go to sleep in 5 minutes of idling.

Announcements