cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF644Cdw will print but not scan (reliably)

Cyclohexane
Contributor

I can print documents (i.e. the print is connecter) but I get a message "cannot connect with the scanner".  The scanner has worked once before (I tested when first bought product), but now it never works and I did not change any settings.  

Running Windows 10 64 bit with all updates (as of message - build 1909).  The printer firmware says it is up to date (which I also get communication error but if click a few times it says up to date).  I am connected over my wireless network.  

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers.  Its been over a month so I dont think I can get my money back.  At this point I just want a different printer.  I tried calling Canon technical support and had to hang up after 2 hours on phone waiting.  

My old Canon printer/scanner combo lasted over 5 years and I used to think this was a good company.  Is the scanner on these new printers just garbage or is the software / drivers trash?  Why cant I get a responce from technical support?  

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Darius
Whiz

Hi Cyclohexane.

If the ability to check firmware is intermittent, that indicates a problem either with the printer's network connectivity (too low), or with a firewall on the network that is restricting its ability to communicate.  If the printer is on WiFi, ensure the MF644Cdw's signal strength is at least at "Good." 

<Status Monitor>  <Network Information>  <IPv4>  Select the setting to view  Check the settings

The printer needs a stronger signal strength for transferring scan data than it does for transferring print data.  If the strength is not at least at Good, try moving the printer closer to the router (no closer than ~ 2 ft), or try a different connection method (USB or Ethernet).

If the problem persists after improving the signal strength or changing the connection method, check that your security software is up to date, and add exceptions as necessary for the scanning software.

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please contact us using the numbers and information at http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

After trying the same thing three times, it worked.  My wireless network connection was bad and swapping to ethernet fixed the problem.  However, the driver installation was buggy.  I did the same thing 3 times and on the third it worked.  There should be reliable uninstall / install software that prompts if restart is required.  

This is the most difficult printer install I have ever done!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Darius
Whiz

Hi Cyclohexane.

If the ability to check firmware is intermittent, that indicates a problem either with the printer's network connectivity (too low), or with a firewall on the network that is restricting its ability to communicate.  If the printer is on WiFi, ensure the MF644Cdw's signal strength is at least at "Good." 

<Status Monitor>  <Network Information>  <IPv4>  Select the setting to view  Check the settings

The printer needs a stronger signal strength for transferring scan data than it does for transferring print data.  If the strength is not at least at Good, try moving the printer closer to the router (no closer than ~ 2 ft), or try a different connection method (USB or Ethernet).

If the problem persists after improving the signal strength or changing the connection method, check that your security software is up to date, and add exceptions as necessary for the scanning software.

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please contact us using the numbers and information at http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

OK, I tested the connection and it says bad.  This is unfortunate since I am only a couple rooms away from wifi (and I can stream video in the same room to a TV).  I cannot move the printer closer, that is a huge incoveince.  

I do have a network cable in the room so I plugged it in.  I uninstalled all drivers, removed printer from devices, downloaded drivers again, then tried to install with Netrwork.  Now I get a message drivers did not install, try again.  The funny thing is, the printer driver did install and I can print, but once again, I cannot use my scanner.  The scanner is telling me to connect to the computer!  

Yeah, thats the problem, I cant!  

It seems the printer is still on the wireless connection but I have no clue how to change that.  There is no obvious settings and no online tutorials for setting up wired after setting up wireless (and getting bad connection).  

I TRIED FOR TWO HOURS YESTERDAY.  I TOOK TIME OFF WORK TO CALL, AND WAS KEPT ON HOLD FOR TWO HOURS AND HAD TO STOP AND RETURN TO WORK.  And Canon is closed when I get home and not open on the weekends.  I have no idea what to do next and there is no recording machine to just leave a message and get a phone call back like most respectable companies that respect thier customers time.  

Edit - I figured out how to remove wiresless settings by going to Menu / Preferences / Network / Select Wired / Wireless

I changed to wired and it said updating IP adress, the network cable is lit up (and I tested with known working cable), but when I go to install drivers, I get the following error:

"Could not Install printer driver.  Try to install again"

Well I did try again, and again.  I uninstalled everything, cleaned registry, and restarted.  Nothing on computer with Canon name, then tried to install again.  It still will not install.  I am running the correct driver (MF642CMFDriverV640W64.exe)

Hi Cyclohexane.

If the printer is printing, but you're unable to run the driver installation, check to see if your computer's About or System screens to determine whether the computer is in S Mode.

Windows 10 S Mode is a restricted mode that restricts all installs to what's available in the Windows Store.  If your compute ris in S Mode, it may be disabled thorugh the Windows Store.

If your computer is not in S Mode, check the Apps & Features list to ensure that the driver installation from a downloaded file is allowed.

If the above has been checked and the driver still does not install, ensure it's being run as an administrator, and that your antivirus or firewall is not preventing it from running or connecting to the printer.

After trying the same thing three times, it worked.  My wireless network connection was bad and swapping to ethernet fixed the problem.  However, the driver installation was buggy.  I did the same thing 3 times and on the third it worked.  There should be reliable uninstall / install software that prompts if restart is required.  

This is the most difficult printer install I have ever done!

clercher
Apprentice
This is a bug that Canon will acknowledge and take responsibility for. Yes it is true that the printer needs more strength to scan to a computer then it does to Print. If I scan to email it works fine. The printer was manufactured with not enough memory or with a card that is not sufficient to handle scan to computer. My printer is located 3.5 feet from the computer. Every day I have to download drivers to scan to computer. If the computer is in sleep mode for an extended period time then the connection is lost and I have to download drivers again. After speaking with and IT expert I believe this is a hardware issue. Cannon please acknowledge your mistake and Tell me what could you do for all the people who bought this printer. Please respond soon. Thank you

astreckfuss
Contributor

The Canon software and drivers for the ImageClass MF644Cdw, cannot differentiate when you are using USB or Wi-fi. Even when you select one or the other during installation of the software/drivers, the software will drop BOTH USB and Wi-fi drivers on your Windows machine. When the printer has Wi-fi turned on and the Windows machine is connected to the printer via USB, Windows cannot figure out which to use and then you will get Driver Contention which causes the Communication error/Connection issue. Simply put, you cannot have both Wi-fi turned on in the printer AND have the printer installed on a workstation via USB. Remote computers on your network will print / scan fine but the USB attached computer is going to have all of the issues. Here is what I discovered - that has fixed the issue for me.

1. COMPLETELY DELETE all of the Canon software. Everything. Then reboot the Windows machine.
  2. Remove the USB cable, you will not be using it again.
  3. Make sure you have the latest .NET Framework installed.
  4. Install the Canon Software and Drivers. When prompted, DO NOT select USB installation.
  5. Install the Toner Status software.
  6. Install the Canon MF Scan Utility.
  7. Check/upgrade printer firmware.
  8. Setup a Static IP on both the printer and the wireless switch, this will prevent DHCP reassignment when there is a power interruption.
  9. Reboot.
Announcements