cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF644CDW Two-sided printing unavailable when using Canon driver

JasonLP
Apprentice

On my MF644CDW with Mac Big Sur 11.0.1, I'm trying to print a document two-sided, and I see that Two-Sided printing is disabled.

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 12.17.41 PM.png

This is with the latest driver V10.19.6 from the Canon web site.

Interestingly, if I create another printer instance using "Secure AirPrint" instead of the Canon driver, I do see a two-sided option and it works perfectly.

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 12.18.48 PM.png

Am I missing a set-up step somewhere that enables two-sided printing using the Canon driver?

Thanks!

-Jason-

6 REPLIES 6

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello JasonLP,

Since this has been posted we have updated the drivers for Big Sur. In this situation I would suggest resetting your printing system and then downloading the UFR II/UFRII LT Printer Driver & Utilities for Macintosh V10.19.7 from the link provided HERE.

To reset the printing system, click on the apple in the upper left hand corner of the screen and then click on system preferences. Once in system preferences click on Printers and Scanners. You can right click on the blank portion of the printer's list and then select the option to reset the printing system.

After resetting, you can download and resintall the driver from the link above. Once it has been reinstalled, you can try adding the printer back with the Canon driver connection.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have the same problem, and installing the latest (v10.19.8) drivers for macOS11.3 doesn't work. When using the printer with canon drivers, duplex printing is not an option. Switching to Airprint is also usless since even though duplex printing works, the printer somehow refuses to print text that shows up under figures in a pdf. 

Please suggest some solutions. Note that I have reset the printing system multiple times on my mac. 

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Npurch,

If you are trying to select two sided (duplex) and you have installed the latest version of the drivers, You can try turning on the two sided setting using the steps in the link provided HERE. You will see the option for two sided printing under the finishing drop down.

Hi Hector. I'm having the same issue on my Canon MF645CX. Is there an option for the Canon driver to use the normal selection for 2-sided printing (circled in red in the screenshot)?
The workaround you posted with going to Printer Features > Finishing > Print Style works (now my printer ONLY prints duplex until I dig back through the menus to set it to 1-sided) but it's unnecessarily cumbersome (4 clicks in a submenu instead of 1 in the main menu). Plus, withouth digging through the menus it's impossible to know whether it will print 1- or 2-sided.

For reference, I'm using

UFR II/UFRII LT Printer Driver & Utilities for Macintosh V10.19.10 [OS X 10.11.6 - macOS 12.0.1]

Last Updated : 18-Nov-2021
Issue Number : 0101096801

on a system running macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G9323)

The Canon Office Printer Utility detects that the printer has a Duplex unit (screenshot attached), but the driver is not passing this information on to the OS (the problem is independent of which application I am trying to print from. Preview screenshot attached for reference).

Screenshot 2021-12-29 at 15.57.07.png

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Nomad,

The option under finishing, is the Canon driver option for duplex printing. The other option is part of the generic Mac driver options and does not work with the printer.  Using the preset option at the top of the you can configure your settings to something you want and then select the option to save the settings as a preset. You can then switch between the settings you want without going through the menu.

npurch
Apprentice

Thank you Hector. I can confirm that 2-sided printing works now on macOS Monterey 12.1, and with the latest driver on the support page (v101910-02). When printing pdfs from the Preview application, 2-sided printing can be chosen from the "Finishing" menu.

Announcements