cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF4890dw not scanning through wireless

rjlin
Apprentice

I use iMac with OSX 10.9.2.  I installed latest version of MF Toolbox, upgraded the firmware to 15.04.  I can scan with USB. Wireless works because I can print with wireless.  However, when I disconnect USB and try to scan through wireless network, either from iMac or from MF4890dw, it will scan the first page and hangs for a while, then MF2890 will show "An error has occurred [close]"   and the computer will pop up an error window:

"Cannot communicate with the scanner.
The cable may be disconnected, or the scanner may be turned off.
Check the scanner status and try again.
Scanner driver will be terminated.

Error code: 200010"

MF4890dw is communicating with iMac because it will scan the first page and it will tell me to put paper in the feeder.

Any help is appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

Patrice
Whiz

Hi rjlin.

I know this error is frustrating and I will be glad to assist you.

I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the ScanGear driver and the MF Toolbox software. 

Please follow the instructions below to uninstall:

1. Click on [Finder] and then click [Go] at the top of the screen.
  2. Select [Applications].
  3. Delete the [Canon MF Utilities] folder.
  4. Click on [Go] again, and select the [Macintosh HD].
  5. Click [Library].
  6. Click [Image Capture].
  7. Empty the [Device] and [TWAIN Data Sources] folders.
  8. Reboot the computer and empty the [Trash Bin].

Next, reinstall the Scangear driver, and then add the scanner in the MF Toolbox [Network Settings], by following the instructions below:

1. Select [Applications] under [GO].
  2. Select [Canon MF Utilities] > [MF Toolbox 4.9].
  3. You may recieve an error that the scanner is not connected.  This is fine.
  4. Click [MF Toolbox] next to the Apple icon in the left corner of the screen and select [Network Settings].
  5. Select the [MF4800 Series], and then click on the [+] symbol and select [Add].

After adding the scanner, please follow the instructions below to scan a document:

1. Quit the MF Toolbox. 
  2. Place the documents in the feeder and press the [SCAN] button on the printer.
  3. Highlight [Remote Scanner] and press [OK].  The screen will show, "Remote Scanner. Waiting online...".
  4. On the computer, open [Applications] > [Canon MF Utilities] > [Canon MF Toolbox].
  5. Select [PDF].
  6. Change the source from [Platen Glass] to [Feeder] or [Auto].
  7. Click [OK].
  8. Click [Scanner] at the top of the desktop screen and select the [MF4800 Series].
  9. Select [PDF].
  10. Click the green [START] button on the [PDF] window.  The machine will start processing the scan.

I hope this information is helpful to you.  If the error persists, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I tried this 3 times over the last week.  No, it still does not work and gets the same error.

I even tried it on a Windows 7 Laptop.  Same except error code is 155,0,0.

I'm having the same error on my 4880 wireless. It previews the scan but it comes up with that **bleep** error. Why hasn't the tech responded? Clearly his generic answer didn't help.

I am having the identical problem, but on Windows 7.  Reinstalled drivers and MF Toolbox, to no avail.  The problem appeared out of nowhere.  Any remedies?

Reset my airport express wireless router worked for me.

Hi derekw.

If uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and MF Toolbox software did not resolve the issue, it is recommended that you contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).  While I understand that the forum may be your preferred method of communication, the real time feedback of a live technical support call would be very beneficial in this case.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Canon support helped solve this issue for me.

The problem was the wireless signal strength. I moved an Access Point into the room with the printer/scanner, and the scanning function began to work.

Apparently, scanning requires a stronger signal than printing.

Announcements