cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF216n updated driver can't find printer

jdurand
Apprentice

Our office has an MF216n printer and did have a PIXMA injet until it died on Friday (good day to have to buy a new printer).

While removing the old inkjet drivers I updated the MF216n drivers to the June, 2019 version.  But, during install the driver can't find the printer, even if I enter the IP address manually.

Funny thing is, the Linux machines have no problem printing to it.

So, details:

Printer on latest firmware, I used the screen self-download and install.

Windows systems are Win 7 Pro.

They HAD been printing to the MF216n since we bought it

Printer is on a static IP, 192.168.0.244

USB not connected.

FAX not connected.

All the office machines are on the same subnet

I've tried with and without anti-virus enabled

One Windows computer has automatically installed a copy of the printer but says it has no driver.

If I manually create a printer and point it at the folder of .inf files it will install and say all is well...

...until I try printing a test page.  It says "printing error", never prints.

the printer admin page doesn't show any errors or documents in queue.

So, any ideas?

Maybe I should plug in the old LBP-8III sitting on a shelf and see if it works.  🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No, it didn't help but as we have a working solution this is as far as I'm going.  Other tasks to do.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jdurand
Apprentice

I've had time to try different things on one computer and finally got a Windows system to connect.

First, I went to the auto-installed printer that said no driver.  Selected update driver and pointed it to the folder created by the driver download.  No idea why this worked today, maybe it likes rainy days?

That made it work as a printer but didn't install the scanner.  Half a cheer.

Then I went to ADD DEVICE.  I intended to add the scanner but it added the whole printer as multi-function.

Tested, scan and print work.

Deleted the auto-installed copy and retested the second one.  Scan and print works!

So, why didn't this work yesterday?  No idea.

Will this work on the next Windows computer I try it on?  Don't know, it's in use so I have to wait a little while before I can get on it.

Hi, jdurand.

I'm happy to hear you managed to get the MF216n running on one of the computers.

For scanning, you will also need the Tool Box Ver.4.9.1.1.mf18, found on the software tab of the Drivers & Downloads page.  This contains the scanning software that the printer uses to detect the computer as a valid scanning destination, along with helpful tools to set scan options.

If the driver EXE file does not install successfully on its own, you may need to disable security software before running the installation.

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Everybody can now print to this printer.

I installed the TOOLBOX but it can't find the MF216n

My linux system prints and scans on the MF216n with no problem.

I found if I plug the USB cable into one of the Windows machines, that one can now scan but it's the only one.

Our Canon inkjet printer died on Friday so we ran out and got a new printer (not Canon).  Everyone can scan and print with that one so we are now fine.  I just have to make sure everyone knows which scanner to use.

If the MF Toolbox on the Windows computers are still not scanning across the network after the latest drivers have been installed, try downloading and running the patch for the MF216n, from the Drivers & Downloads page, and then rebooting that computer.Patch for MF

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

No, it didn't help but as we have a working solution this is as far as I'm going.  Other tasks to do.

Announcements