cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF Scan Utility with Canon ImageCLASS MF634Cdw - scan multiple documents into a single PDF

mlblood
Apprentice

I have a Canon ImageCLASS MF634Cdw (networked), I'm using the latest MF Scan Utility (Version 1.9.0.0) on a Windows 8.1 PC.

I have a large document (too large to fit all of it into the feeder), and so I want to scan the document by loading a few of the pages into the feeder at a time.  My experience with the last Canon printer I owned (an MX870 that used MP Navigator EX 3.1 software) is that after scanning is complete you get a "Scan Complete" pop-up dialog that gives you the option to either (a) exit or (b) continue scanning.  That way, you can keep loading pages into the feeder until all pages have been scanned.

Using MF Scan, I can't seem to get this behavior.  When I load  pages into the feeder, they are scanned and a pdf file is then produced.  There is no "Scan Complete" dialog that allows me to choose to continue scanning or exit.

Suggestions?  I've looked at all the MF Scan utility setting and none of them seem to apply to this.

Note: The desired behavior IS available for sheets placed in the platen one at a time.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

AmandaC
Contributor

@mlblood wrote:

I have a Canon ImageCLASS MF634Cdw (networked), I'm using the latest MF Scan Utility (Version 1.9.0.0) on a Windows 8.1 PC.

I have a large document (too large to fit all of it into the feeder), and so I want to scan the document by loading a few of the pages into the feeder at a time.  My experience usps tracking with the last Canon printer I owned (an MX870 that used MP Navigator EX 3.1 software) is that after scanning is complete you get a "Scan Complete" pop-up dialog that gives you the option to either (a) exit or (b) continue scanning.  That way, you can keep loading pages into the feeder until all pages have been scanned.

Using MF Scan, I can't seem to get this behavior.  When I load  pages into the feeder, they are scanned and a pdf file is then produced.  There is no "Scan Complete" dialog that allows me to choose to continue scanning or exit.

Suggestions?  I've looked at all the MF Scan utility setting and none of them seem to apply to this.

Note: The desired behavior IS available for sheets placed in the platen one at a time.

Thanks!

I also need help with the same. Help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Amanda

Patrice
Whiz

Hi mlblood. 

The continuous scanning option is only available when scanning from the feeder. One suggestion I can make is to create a folder for the document and using that as the save location, so that when you scan the second batch of pages, you will be able to add the pages to the folder.

If you have any other questions, or need any further assistance, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Patrice -

Thanks very much for your reply.  At least now I know that I can't do this with MF Scan.

Adding pages to a folder doesn't really help much, since the generated pdf files are already going into a folder based on the current date.  In any case, I want all the pages to be part of a single PDF file, not a single folder.

I really think that this is a feature (enabled by a setting, perhaps) that should be added to MF Scan.  Please provide this feedback to the MF Scan developers if you can.

By the way, it appears that this behavior (using the feeder) is what you get with the Canon IJ Scan utility:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART116956

What I did to deal with this problem is to download the free open-source PDFSam Basic application, which enables you to easily merge multiple PDF files into a single PDF file:

https://pdfsam.org/download-pdfsam-basic/

Thanks again,

Mark

rsarin
Contributor

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?  I purchased my ImageClass printer after loving my 10 year old Pixma's scanning functionality, however, the MF Scan Utility is big step backwards for me.  

Having to save a separate file every time there is a paper jam, not being able to continue scanning large documents into a single file (I don't want to go back and combine 10+ separate files), or the ability to remove the occasional blank page when scanning documents that include both single and double sided sections.

Those are such basic features and cannot believe Canon didn't incorporate them in this higher line of printers. 

Best regards,

Ryan

Hello,

I just discovered a solution that is working for me.  I downloaded this free software (search for naps2), and it works very much like I was used to with the Pixma.  You can continue scanning multiple batches into a single document, jams don't force you to start over the from beginning, you can delete paged before PDF'ing the file, rotate upside down pages, remove blank pages, and saving files I find is much easier to save files when you are not always saving to the same folder or drive.  

Hope this helps others like me!  This is the software the printer/scanner should have come with.

Best regards,

Ryan

Announcements