cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to scan a double-sided index card? (C5550i)

Xavitan
Apprentice

Hello there, everyone!

I have model C5550i multifunction machines at my office, and I am having the most difficult time scanning in an index card. Of course, I can't use the feeder, as the 5x3 inch card will jam up the machine, or not even get pulled in, at all. 

I have a stack of more than two-thousand double-sided cards, and I need to scan them in (with OCR'd text, at 600 dpi, the works). I have tried placing one on the platen glass, top-left corner, even a bit more centralized, but nothing ever registers, even with the "Free Size" option selected. 

I have read the manual, searched the forums, and have played with every setting I could access on the machine.

Can anyone help me scan in these little cards (preferably in the most efficient manner), please? 

Thank you, eternally!,

Xavitan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Xavitan
Apprentice

Hello, again, Canon Community!

I am back with a solution!

All you must do to scan individual index cards is to put one on the platen glass, and cover it fully with a larger sheet of paper. That's it. It is going to be annoying to scan all 2,430 cards individually this manner, front and back, but it is what it is. At least there's a way to scan them in. To get rid of the larger sheet from appearing in the file, I end up having to edit the documents in Adobe Acrobat DC, but I am certain that other softwares can do similar things. The reason we must place a larger sheet to cover a card is due to the scanner being unable to sense that there is anything on the platen glass, at all. The dimensions for an index card are simply too small for the scanner to notice.

I hope that helps! If not, I can further go into detail, just let me know.

Thank you!,

Xavitan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Tiffany

Hi Xavitan,

Thanks for posting! While our forum community members are welcome to chime in, Canon does not provide direct support for imageRUNNER series products. Instead, your dealer will be able to help you! If you don't have a dealer and you're in the United States, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) and we will be happy to provide you with the names of dealers in your area.

If you're outside the USA, visit http://global.canon and choose your country or region from the map for local support.

We hope this helps!

Hi there, thank you for your quick response!

Thank you very much for that suggestion; I have recently spoken with someone from the field, and he referred me to the forums! This was a few days ago, when I first realized I needed to scan in a small page, and he said that he had no applicable experience to give a helpful suggestion.

I truly do hope that someone from the community can help, somehow.

Thanks again,

Xavitan

Xavitan
Apprentice

Hello, again, Canon Community!

I am back with a solution!

All you must do to scan individual index cards is to put one on the platen glass, and cover it fully with a larger sheet of paper. That's it. It is going to be annoying to scan all 2,430 cards individually this manner, front and back, but it is what it is. At least there's a way to scan them in. To get rid of the larger sheet from appearing in the file, I end up having to edit the documents in Adobe Acrobat DC, but I am certain that other softwares can do similar things. The reason we must place a larger sheet to cover a card is due to the scanner being unable to sense that there is anything on the platen glass, at all. The dimensions for an index card are simply too small for the scanner to notice.

I hope that helps! If not, I can further go into detail, just let me know.

Thank you!,

Xavitan

Announcements