cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imageclass mf6540

agilitybassets
Apprentice

i am getting the error message:

cannot open the scanner. the scanner is not active or in use by another application.

this worked up untill a few dyas or so ago. pc is hp desktop less than a year old running windows 7 and all update have been down. virus and malware scanned. i have uninstall drivers and mftoolbox restarted and reinstalled does not work. i can use windows fax and scan and scan but it does not give the functionality of the mftoolbox app.

any ideas? i am very frustrated with this now.

thanks

cheryl

4 REPLIES 4

Patrice
Whiz

Hi Cheryl.

I will be glad to assist you.

So that I can better assist you, I would like to ask a question.  Are there any other imaging devices connected to the computer, such as a web camera or another scanner?

I look forward to your reply.  Should you need immediate assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

hungtdao
Apprentice

I did not use Widnows 8.1 but Windows 10 after I upgraded from Windows 7.  I think Canon uses a same driver for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.  I could not print and when used the scan function, I received a same error message said that the scanner is not active or it has been used by different application.  After I spent several days and followed so many hints out there but could not get it work.   Here is what I have done finally.

1) Uninstall Canon MF6530 driver and application.  Also use Device Manager to view any Canon Image and Printer device then remove them from here as well.

2) Disconnect the printer USB cable.

3) Reboot the PC

4) Reinstall MF6530 driver and application.  Download from Canon website to make sure you get a right version

5) THIS IS IMPORTANT as it has worked for me since many hints out there did not include this.  Go to Control Panel->System -> Advance System Settings.  This will open  "System Properties" Window.  Then click Environment Variable button at the bottom.  Scroll down the bottom list to look for "Path" then click Edit.  Add this ";C:\Windows\twain_32\MF6500" to the Path's variable value.  Note that every value is separated by a semi colon.

Good luck

I fortgot to add step 6) Restart PC after you made a change.

Wow... doing this several cycles adding the PATH variable was the most important (especially in Windows 10). Lazy software developers forgot to add that in.

Announcements