cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ImageClass MF644CDW - when black runs out, do colors mix to make black?

kidziti
Contributor

We have an MF644CDW and for some time the printer has indicated the black cartridge is empty. Knowing that - unlike inkjets - running a laser on an empty cartridge will not hurt the printer, we decided to print whatever black pages may be left. That was many pages ago and it is still going strong. We figure that either (1) the empty indication occurs at something short of empty (like say 20%) or (2) the printer is smart enough to automatically mix the color cartridges to make black. Any thoughts on what may be at play here are welcome except comments that I am cheap - to which I have little defense beyond defining my frugality as "maximal resource management." 😏

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello,

The toner would not switch from black to a mixture of color. Depending on the specific message you received, it would usually mean the toner is low and you can continue printing until you see streak in the prints or a drop in print quality.

View solution in original post

normadel
Authority
Authority

Don't know what percentage, but YES, there can be a lot of toner left when you first get the low/empty warning. The toner does not get used uniformly across the width of the cartridge, and it can be lower where the sensor is.

When I get a low toner warning, I take out the cartridge and shake it a little side-to-side.  This evens-out the toner across the width of the cartridge. It can be quite a while before getting another warning.

Of COURSE, the printer manufacturer would love for you to replace cartridges sooner rather than later. Just keep going until a lack of toner exhibits itself.

Same goes for inkjet printers....I never replace an ink tank until it is REALLY out of ink. Only, you don't shake an ink tank. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello,

The toner would not switch from black to a mixture of color. Depending on the specific message you received, it would usually mean the toner is low and you can continue printing until you see streak in the prints or a drop in print quality.

normadel
Authority
Authority

Don't know what percentage, but YES, there can be a lot of toner left when you first get the low/empty warning. The toner does not get used uniformly across the width of the cartridge, and it can be lower where the sensor is.

When I get a low toner warning, I take out the cartridge and shake it a little side-to-side.  This evens-out the toner across the width of the cartridge. It can be quite a while before getting another warning.

Of COURSE, the printer manufacturer would love for you to replace cartridges sooner rather than later. Just keep going until a lack of toner exhibits itself.

Same goes for inkjet printers....I never replace an ink tank until it is REALLY out of ink. Only, you don't shake an ink tank. 

Announcements