03-23-2020 03:15 PM - edited 03-23-2020 03:17 PM
Well this is a sort of embaressing. I've been dealing with low and high end printers for 25 years. Inkjets, laser writers, copiers, etc etc.
Bought a MF644CDW last week of Christmas 2019. Got busy with with work, and put the entire reason for the printer (crafting projects) on hold. Now working on said projects, and realize I have no idea how to use this printer.
i5 Windows 10, Nvidia 970, 32G ram
My issues include:
1. After several installs, the darn thing changes IP every few days
2. I have extremely limited options to print from Photoshop, which is the main app I am using for my crafting projects. This is Photoshop version whatever, via the cloud service. I tried printing a design last night and it looks like something I printed back about 20 years ago. Horribly low rez. Printing via MS Word does not improve things. Text looks fine, sometimes. LARGE text is usually pixally.
3. I messed around with some settings for the printer via the Printer Preferences window today, and even created a new Print profile, just to test the graphics print.
4. None of those settings updates or the new Print profile made any difference in the design I'm testing. I finally upped the rez of the photoshop file considerably, which resulted in a very minor upgraded print.
5. I have been unable to locate any type of ACTUAL user guide that explains what all the settings are and how to set them.
The entire point of this printer was to print GRAPHICS. I did a lot of research and thought this machine would be fine. Either I have the wrong drivers (updated today, don't think I've missed anything in this regard), or I bought a printer not suited for my crafting projects.
Any and all advice (except for "buy a new printer") apprecaited.
Solved! Go to Solution.
03-24-2020 09:26 AM - edited 03-24-2020 03:23 PM
1. Set a fixed IP address for the printer in your router settings.
2. Install the recommended driver package which will enable all print functionality on the PC you are using: [Windows 64bit] MF644Cdw/MF642Cdw MFDrivers (Generic Plus UFR II / Generic FAX / ScanGear) https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/color-laser/color-imagecl...
3. Use the (horribly old-fashioned) online manual to look through the print settings and udnerstand each one and make a note of which are needed for best graphics output. https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-3582-zz-SSM-740-enUV/contents/devu-set_menu_list_1-func-printer.html
I had very similar problems at the start. This printer is without a doubt one of the least user-friendly I have ever set up, but now I have done it the output is very good. It just takes a few days of learning and experimenting with the various settings, so be patient and explore them thoroughly.
03-24-2020 03:08 PM
The MF644Cdw is designed for moderate to high-volume office printing. As a laser printer, it will not have as high of an image quality as a comparable inkjet printer. Our professional inkjet printers feature add-ons that work in conjunction with Photoshop and Lightroom.
If the print resolution and paper handling of the MF644Cdw are sufficient for your purposes, there are some steps that may be taken to improve print quality. Refer to the following page in the Online Manual for steps to correct image quality:
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.