cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MF Toolbox

Y2K
Contributor
I have an older Canon ImageClass MF 4100 laser printer/copier/scanner. The software that comes with it is 32 bit which was fine for my Windows 7 computer. I am now using a Windows 10 laptop which is 64 bit so the installation disks don’t load. I was able to get it to connect by shutting down the laptop, connecting the USB and powering on. It prints and copies fine. In order to scan there is a utility, Canon MF toolbox 4.9 which runs the scanner but it is on the disk that I can’t load. Canon’s website is no help at this point. There are lots of 3rd party vendors advertising free download but I have no way of knowing what is safe. Any thoughts? Thank you.
9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This might help.  64bit capable hardware and OS are capable of supporting 32 bit applications. 

Maybe you've noticed these in the root of C:\

PF.png

Program files is the directory where 64bit applications are installed

Prigram Files (x86) is where 32bit applications are installed

What's more likely.  The older 32bit software does not support Windows 10.  This might be due to its age, not because it is 32bit. 

You can try installing the software in compatibility mode.  This can allow older applications to run on later versions of windows.  Note, this doesn't work in every case and should not be relied on as a long term solution.  A future OS update could "break" or render this emulated compatibility.  

Here is a general "How To' article so you can become familiar with what compatibility mode does and how it works. 

In the end however,  I would recommend finding / using updated drivers which supports your hardware under the OS you are using.  If this is not possible, (due to its age) consider buying a new device that has support for Windows 10. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for your reply.

The printer and copier are working fine so I didn't want to put them in compatability mode.

I discovered that MF Toolbox is actually freeware distributed by Canon so I took it off the original disk and set it up on the new laptop.

It loaded (in compatability mode) but wouldn't run. Progress.

I then went to controlled files and put it as an exemption to Windows Defender. Bingo.

All good!

I really like this old B&W printer for everyday work. I have a nice Xerox Phaser color laser that I use for brochures, etc. I can scan color and then print on the Phaser when needed.

Thanks again.

I have a new laptop and for the life of me, I download the drivers but I cannot get the printer and the laptop to communicate.

I hear everyone saying their scanner doesn't work but how do you get the printer connected with Windows 10?

Do you have the original canon printer disk?

Put it in your optical drive and open it.

Drag and drop MF Toolbox to your desk top.

Open MF toolbox on your desktop and it should set up.

I still had an issue so I googled it and found the solution which I explained in my last post. Basically Windows Defender saw it as a security risk and I had to make it an exemption.

My scanner works, copier works, printer works and I don't use the fax.

esmith8265
Apprentice
I have the disk. I shut the computer down plugged in the printer, powered it back up it said MF4100 was ready but still can't print. The toolbox is aleady on my desktop

esmith8265
Apprentice
I am pulling my hair out, never had this much trouble trying to set up a printer.

Y2K
Contributor
I am in no way any kind of IT.

I google and noodle.

Many years ago I was an ET on a nuclear submarine but tech has marched way on.

Do you see the printer on the printer list? The printer set to default?

Was the printer on when you powered up the connected laptop?

At some point you are going to make MF an exception to Windows Defender. Do that now?

Y2K
Contributor
Oops. You had the printer plugged in. Was it on?

Y2K
Contributor
Looks like I hit the wrong button there.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements