cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ImageClass MF642cdw Slow Printing

melsheth
Apprentice

My recently purchased ImageClass Color Laserjet mf642cdw printer prints excessively slowly: a 10 page PDF document can take anywhere between 15 minutes to an over an hour before there is any response from the printer, during which time the printer touch screen reads "Waiting xx.pdf" and my printer application on my computer says "Connected to Printer."

I am printing over a personal wifi network from my mid-2012 MacBook Pro. The wireless connection doesn't seem to be the problem since I can print over wifi to my HP printer just fine.

Thanks for any help!

5 REPLIES 5

Darius
Whiz

Hi melsheth.

Check the network information on the printer.  The menu path will be one of the following two:

<Status Monitor>  <Network Information>  <IPv4>  Select the setting to view  Check the settings

<Status Monitor>  <Network Information>  <IPv6>  Select the setting to view  Check the settings

In the network information, what is listed as the Wireless LAN Status?  Also, about how far apart are the printer and the router?

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please contact us using the numbers and information at http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Hi Darius,

Thanks for getting back to me; my printer actually suddenly started functioning normally last week. However, I'm concerned that this issue may happen again. Nearly every time I wake the printer from sleep, I receive a notification on the screen that the IPv4 has changed (not sure what this means?). Furthermore, when I check the network information Wireless LAN status, it shows me a symbol with a triangle and says "Bad." There is nothing when I select "Latest Error Information."

My printer and my router are about 15 feet apart.

Thanks for your help.

Hello Melsheth,

When printing, the job will go from the computer to the router and then the printer. If you checked the network status and the connection is bad, it would point to an issue with the connection between the printer and the router. A bad connection would explain why it is taking so long for the job to print. If it is waiting, it means it received the print command but it is waiting for the body of the print job.

In that situation, I would suggest unplugging the router that is connecting the devices for 5 seconds and then unplugging it back in. Once the network is back up, you can try printing again to see if you have the same issue. If you do, you can check the status again to see if the connection is still bad. If it is, I would suggest moving the printer to see if you get a better connection.

If you are still getting the issue after moving the printer to get a better connection, I would suggest calling support at 1-800-652-2666, our agents would be happy to assist.

Hello - I have a MF635Cx. I am facing the same problem. It is taking a very long time for me to print over the network. I get the same messages- waiting for file, printing. a single document takes about 20-25 minutes to start print, sometimes even longer.

I followed the steps you mentioned- When I do net connection type, it says Status: Bad with only one bar. That is unusual for various reasons- the modem / router is about 10 feet away from the printer, and the other devices on the network in similar distance, and even farther and working perfectly. I must say that I have had this printer for little over a year and this problem has persisted off and on- just become very annoying now.

Sometimes it doesn't even show up on the network, say sometimes when i am trying to print from a phone using AirPrint. 

dbeauch1
Apprentice

Yes same issue. I print and the printer status is "Waiting"....waiting on what?

Announcements