cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 5 installing driver

frankabio
Apprentice

I get the following message when trying to install the driver for my Canon Color imageCLASS MF743Cdw. 

The complete message is 

WinZip Self-Extractor

Error 5 running command .\DRIVERS\x64\Setup.exe

I ran it normal and as an adminstrator - same error message

Canon said I need to talk to Microsoft

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ahh, you are on a Surface...  MS touts this as business ready, but unfortunately its not.  Better than a chrome book, but has some limitations.  Support for ARM processors is limited by many printer manufacturers.  I know some HP printers have drivers ported to ARM but not Canon unfortunately. 

If you are within your return window for the computer, I would strongly consider exchanging it for a intel or AMD based system.  (Unless you are so in love with it)  Printers are only the beginning of what may or may not be supported.

For some they will work great, but I worry that you may be disappointed more than once during its life.  Certainly something to think about. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The error you are seeting does typically indicate a permissions issue.

This is the correct W10 x64 driver: 

http://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDEwMDAxMDMzNzAx&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

What I would try:

Delete the old file and download a fresh copy using the link I provided above.  Attempt install again

While the above file is self extracting, You can also rename the file to .zip and extract it manually before trying to run Setup.exe

Try installing under a different user profile

Please post your results / progress.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

~Rick

deleted old, attempted to install from your link (it was the same file as Canon), same error, tried running as Administrator, same error.

Something I noticed when a went into x64 drivers and the Setup file (application) - when I clicked on it, the following message popped up:

This app can't run on your PC

To find a version for your PC, check with software publisher.

Also, tried running as a different profile but same problem.

Greetings,

I suspect then you have x86 (32bit) windows. Not x64.

How to check:

Start menu > This PC > right-click > select More > Properties from the context menu. Dialog opens:

What does it say under system type?

32 or 64-bit

32bit drivers are here <<<<<<<

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Rick,

I checked and confirmed it's a 64 bit ARM-based processor

I ran the other program before and again and just gives me another error message.

Thank you again - any other ideas?

Ahh, you are on a Surface...  MS touts this as business ready, but unfortunately its not.  Better than a chrome book, but has some limitations.  Support for ARM processors is limited by many printer manufacturers.  I know some HP printers have drivers ported to ARM but not Canon unfortunately. 

If you are within your return window for the computer, I would strongly consider exchanging it for a intel or AMD based system.  (Unless you are so in love with it)  Printers are only the beginning of what may or may not be supported.

For some they will work great, but I worry that you may be disappointed more than once during its life.  Certainly something to think about. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick,

Sent my Surface Pro X back because it uses the ARM Processor and they didn't explain the limitations.  Canon finally woke up and told me they didn't have a driver for the ARM processor (after a 2 hour wait and call time).  When got though to Microsoft, they recommended the Pro 7 (they say only difference is Pro x is SIM card ready).  I went with Pro 7 I7 Intel processor.  Thank you for your assistance.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is not a recommendation that I would make lightly. I think eventually support for arm processors will be more widely available. it's going through the same growing pains the surface RT did when Microsoft released its original surface  device. It never caught on and was finally abandoned by them due to software compatibility issues. I owned the surface pro 2 for about 2 years and except for its dock, was a good little device. It however had a full version of Windows OS, one that ran all Intel compatible 64-bit software.  Given the cost of these types of devices and the fact that they are a depreciating asset, I truly believe that investing in something that can have these types of use limitations is not a good investment.  So even if the initial cost  (Intel or AMD) based is a little more up front, your return on investment in the short and long term is worth it.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements