cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D1620 will not print until home button on touch interface is hit

mcholin
Contributor

I have a Canon D1620 that will not wake from sleep mode until the touch panel is interacted with.

Originally the issue was that after bing in sleep/powersave mode for over 8 hours the Nic on the printer would be shut down and it would not respond on the network until the printer was rebooted. To work around this issue I created a scheduled task in Windows that pings the printer once every hour to ensure it stays connected to the network. That script is keeping the printers IP address responding on the network and is keeping the web interface available even after 2 days of down time. 

The issue we are facing currently is similar. I sent a test page to the printer while logged into the Web interface to watch the printer status. Windows sent the job to the printer, the printer's status changed from Sleep to Printing and then went to Ready after 30-45 seconds. The problem is that the test page I told it to print did not actually print until a day leter when the home button was hit on the touch interface.

This is the second printer of the same model we have had here as the first was replaced through Warranty for the original not waking from sleep after long periods of time, since we had to enable a ping script that obviously did not resolve that issue and this new one has popped up. 

We also have another printer of the same model in another location that is not having any of these issues or requiring any of these workarounds. 

If anyone has a suggestion for the delayed printing issue I would apriciate the advice. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Where I might start.  

Ensure a fully patched OS and that I am using the latest drivers avaialble for my product.

Support | Black and White laser | imageCLASS D1620 | Canon USA

If updated FW exists,, I might consider updating this as well.  Review and determine if appropriate:

Focus on:

Printer:

Check and verify Eco Mode, power management or sleep settings.  Go with defaults here.

<Timer/Energy Settings> - Canon - imageCLASS D1650 / D1620 - User's Guide (manual.canon)

Router:

Assign the printer a static IP or reserve an IP for the printer by its MAC address.  Based on your description, it sounds like your printer is not receiving a wake packet and thus is not coming out of sleep or power save, etc.  Manual intervention forces the action and you get output.

On a properly functioning network, you should not have to set up a recurring task to ping the printer to make it "stay alive".  The device should should be listening.  However, some power management features can power off the printers network interface (after some period of inactivity) which would then require manual intervention (such as tapping the home button) to bring the device out of a low power state. 

I have not reviewed the D1620's manual, so I am not familiar with all of its Eco Mode or power mangement setting.  It has a wake from sleep feature also, so I would review and ensure something isn't conflicting.  

Hope this helps.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

shadowsports,

The full fix was to run the firmware update on the printer from the control panel. The Executrable provided by Canon for the process could not talk to the printer on the network despite being logged into the web interface.But we were able to run the firmware update process from the control panel iteself and after the reboot it was back to the expected operations. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Where I might start.  

Ensure a fully patched OS and that I am using the latest drivers avaialble for my product.

If updated FW exists,, I might consider updating this as well.  Review and determine if appropriate:

Focus on:

Printer:

Check and verify Eco Mode, power management or sleep settings.  Go with defaults here.

<Timer/Energy Settings> - Canon - imageCLASS D1650 / D1620 - User's Guide (manual.canon)

Router:

Assign the printer a static IP or reserve an IP for the printer by its MAC address.  Based on your description, it sounds like your printer is not receiving a wake packet and thus is not coming out of sleep or power save, etc.  Manual intervention forces the action and you get output.

On a properly functioning network, you should not have to set up a recurring task to ping the printer to make it "stay alive".  The device should should be listening.  However, some power management features can power off the printers network interface (after some period of inactivity) which would then require manual intervention (such as tapping the home button) to bring the device out of a low power state. 

I have not reviewed the D1620's manual, so I am not familiar with all of its Eco Mode or power mangement setting.  It has a wake from sleep feature also, so I would review and ensure something isn't conflicting.  

Hope this helps.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Windows is fully patched and we are using the latest drivers from Canon for the model printer. I did download the Latest Firmware update as well but the exe on Windows could not see the printer on the network despite being able to print to it and being logged int ot the web interface. 

I was able to manually install the Firmware update from the control panel and we will check it again in a few days. I'm hoping that the firmward update will correct the issues for us. 

As for the Sleep/Eco settings we have that set to the longest period the system allows (250 minutes). That was one of the first things we checked for. We are not suing the wake from sleep as you can only set one time for it to wake and then after the 250 minutes expires it goes back to sleep. 

As mentioned the original issue was that the printer would go to sleep and after 8+ hours in sleep mode the Nic would stop responding on the network until a power cycle of the printer.

shadowsports,

The full fix was to run the firmware update on the printer from the control panel. The Executrable provided by Canon for the process could not talk to the printer on the network despite being logged into the web interface.But we were able to run the firmware update process from the control panel iteself and after the reboot it was back to the expected operations. 

Thats great.  Glad it helped.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements