cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color imageCLASS MF743Cdw Paper Jam

thatwilsonguy
Contributor

Purchased a Color imageCLASS MF743Cdw yesterday. There is no sign of mis-handling of the box, I carefully and thoroughly removed all the packing matericals and tape, updated the firmware and then attempted to print on Georgia-pacific Standard Paper 8.5" X 11", 20lb/92 Bright that I've had in a drawer for several years. I printed one test page and it worked. I then attempt to print duplex as it was one feature I specifically require. It immediatly jammed at the back end when taking the paper back to print the other side. After about a half dozen attempts it finally printed one double side page. It then began failing to feed the paper from the tray, only taking it about 1/3 of the way down the tray. I inspected the paper and it free of defects. Electronic stores are closing early so I was limited in my selection and purchased generic paper from Target that is also standard 20lb. It failed to print duplex in the exact same way and then failed to feed from the tray for single sideded printing. 

Am I missing something here? If it weren't for the limited store hours this thing would already be back at the store I purchsed it. I would rather it just work. 

Any sugestions for what I should try? I looked online and saw some specilized settings for harsh environments to compensate for extremly humid or dry conditions. I logged into the IP address of the printer but couldn't find those setting in my model. I'm not in a harsh climate but I figured I would try. 

Thanks, 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I am returning the printer tomorrow.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

thatwilsonguy
Contributor
It appears it will reliably print from the manual feed tray, even duplex however it is still failing to pickup the first or second page from the main tray.

Darius
Whiz

Hi thatwilsonguy.

Try manually setting the paper size and type in the tray. 

https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-3547-zz-SSM-740-enUS/contents/devu-basicope-papers_pset-psize_ptype-p...

Ensure the paper is set to size Letter and type Plain 2.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have set the paper to letter and also set it to the correct paper weight. I also played around a little bit with trying thinner paper, lighter paper, and heavier paper. 

It looks like the issue feeding has settled in to be consistently only pulling the page out of the tray about 2.5 - 3 inches. 

Hi thatwilsonguy.

If the MF743Cdw's paper feed issue has progressed, I recommend contacting our phone-based support.  If you're located in the U.S., our support is available at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) Monday-Friday from 10:00 am to 6:30 pm ET, excluding holidays.

If you're located outside of the U.S., you may find your local branch of Canon using the map on the Canon Global website: http://global.canon/en/support/

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Due to work I was unable to call into support I would like to see if there is anything else that can be done. Is there any other trouble shooting that I can try? 

I have included two images. The printer always fails to pull a second piece of paper in the same way. I've tried to create custom paper types with different settings included recyled paper which is the second type of paper I tried. 

I added an orange line to see where to top piece of paper is pulled to before it "Jams". 

Printer Jam 1.PNG

This is what the paper looks like when the tray is removed. 

Printer Jam 1.PNG

Just giving this post a push since I edited my last post and didn't actually create a new one. I added pictures of what it is doing. I have a meeting in 2 minutes, I'm hoping I can call the support line afterwards I wanted to keep this thread open. 

Thanks, 

I am returning the printer tomorrow.

Hi thatwilsonguy.

In addition to troubleshooting, our phone-based support may help with service options, up to and including warranty replacement.  As stated above, if you're located in the U.S., our support is available at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) Monday-Friday from 10:00 am to 6:30 pm ET, excluding holidays.

Announcements